Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: lol going blind at 22

Man that does suck, but at least u have a supportive family, gf, and sounds like a good doctor. Why no sex? Too Strenuous? Can you recieve bjs? You can masterbate right?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 AM

damn thats crazy OP, im glad you have a way to correct that though. One year isn't a long time to be able to see for the rest of your life (Though it would feel like it)

For example my uncle is dying of ALS and there is nothing to cure it. Slowly he has lost all use of his limbs and is confined to a hi-tec wheelchair (used to be the CEO of sara lee and some coffee company so he is well off atleast). Soon his organs will fail.

And be thankful you have the means to get this operation. You're 22. You may not work til you're 23-24, but atleast you will be getting help. So many poor people in the world who can't afford help.

Again, good luck and be sure to update
Old 08-15-2007, 01:39 AM

Feel ya dawg, my dad has retinitis pigmentosa and although I didn't get it, I feel like I did sometimes when I bring him to places he needs to go to and need to help him out a lot.

There's no easy cure for him, and if it were $50k to give him his vision back, I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

Donating to the foundation to fight blindness.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 AM

that sucks a lot OP. im glad you are getting it fixed

when the doc said your life will never be the same again... did he mean in the next 6 months or forever? if forever, why?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 AM

Man it depressed me to just read this, I can't imagine living through it. GL.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:12 AM

good luck with the cornea transplant. They are doing amazing things nowadays and I know a number of ppl who have had this surgery and are extremely happy and no longer have to worry about it (or wear the gas perm lenses anymore)...you never want to have to deal with it, but in time you will be in great shape.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 AM

One of the 3 best poker players on my campus has a similar condition. super nice guy. we used to say he was going all in blind. but seriously, it sounds like you are handling the situation in an extrmely mature fashion. It seems like ground breaking eye technology is coming out every year. I wish the best of luck to you and am sure you will put this past you.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man that does suck, but at least u have a supportive family, gf, and sounds like a good doctor. Why no sex? Too Strenuous? Can you recieve bjs? You can masterbate right?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is pressure in your eye, basically the bearing down involved with sex/heavy weightlifting/masturbating would blow the stitches out. So yeah, I was on antidepressants like first month of college and they shut down my sex drive hardcore, so I am gonna get back on those. It is super, super bad times.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that sucks a lot OP. im glad you are getting it fixed

when the doc said your life will never be the same again... did he mean in the next 6 months or forever? if forever, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

They meant forever. I was explaining to the doc that I enjoy weightlifting, and for example I bench well over my body weight and do heavy squats and stuff, and he said no more of that, ever, because there will always be a weak spot where the last stitch came out, and i could blow out the transplant. However, I found some conflicting information on some online sites, so knowing how I am, I will probably press my luck and screw up my eyes at some point. Running is ok, and I used to do cross country so I might get back on that, they said running is ok after 6 months.

And another thing about my life never being the same, corneal transplants have a life of ~20 years, so I will be lookin at getting them redone in my 40's, then again in my 60's if i life that long lol.

Contact sports or anything that could hit me in the eye is not allowed either, so I could probably never play a pickup game of football or baseball or something fun like that.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 AM

OP,

This may seem like a bad predicament. It really isn't, and I'll show you how:

I live with a very rare brain disorder called hydrocephalus(water on the brain). Basically, my brain cannot remove its used CSF so it drown in it, and my head feels like it's going to explode due to pressure headaches. I have a shuint which removes the fluid from my brain and drains it into my abdomen, meaning I piss ALL the time. Periodically, I have to have brainsurgery done to repair the shunt or the tube the fluid flows down. I've had 25 such revisions in my 25 year life.

The 15th one did not go so well. The surgeon placed the shunt into my thalamus, causing a stroke, meaning paralysis on my left side, crossed eyes, inability to swallow, etc etc etc etc.

My joke is that when a plumber has a bad ay, someone's carpet gets [censored] up. When a neurosurgeon does........lol.

Anyhow, I was told I would die soon after I came out of my coma.

Guess what? I didn't. I graduated high school. I graduated college. I'm married to a beautiful woman, and I have a job that barely pays the bills(beat).

My point is this: you WILL find something that makes you whole again. All of us that go through the worst of it do. We put our money in with what we think is the best hand, and the rest is up to the math. That's all you can do.

I am probably the one poster in this thread who will not feel badly for you, because I've been there. I know that your surgery will be a success and that you'll rehabilitate in whatever fashion you're told to. You'll do it again if you have to in your 40's or 60's.

That's just what people do. Good luck(whatever the [censored] that is).