Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

[ QUOTE ]
if they happen in reverse order i think pronger gets 2-3 games at least. this hit wasn't malicious, just reckless and stupid. the previous hit was malicious without a doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, although I'm a homer. The first one was deliberate smash head in glass, this one was a result of McAmmond's speed going in the zone, Pronger's height, and the reflex action to stop a player with an elbow. Sometimes guys stick out their feet when they get smoked trying to check the guy, and it ends up being a dangerous knee.

Also, to the guy complaining about interference and cheap shots:
Both teams are going at it hard near the benches, in front of the net etc. The refs are letting it go for the most part (although they then call weak crap on both sides). I suggest you do the same.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He should have received either 0 games or 2+. Isn't it once your suspended a game, an additional suspension = however many games they feel it deserved + 1?

Typical of the NHL, bend the rules to make it 'fair.'

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems likely the NHL is using one or both of the following in their decisions in the Pronger suspensions...
1) Superstar favoritism
2) Weighing playoff/finals games as much greater than regular season games (1 playoff game = 2 or 3 regular season games or something)

EDIT: just saw CryMeARiver go over my second point. I agree.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:26 AM

I could totally see the NHL doing something weird like handing out a game 4 suspension and some games during next season, but going against their own stated rules is so typical of Campbell.

On TSN they were stating how it's a MANDATORY 2+ game suspension, it's just not possible to give a 1 game suspension under the rules. So it should have been 0 or 2+.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On TSN they were stating how it's a MANDATORY 2+ game suspension, it's just not possible to give a 1 game suspension under the rules. So it should have been 0 or 2+.

[/ QUOTE ]

All suspension rules in the NHL have a discretionary clause. So, the people in charge can look at a situation, and make an appropriate decision.

If Pronger doesn't get suspended earlier for an elbow, I think he doesn't get suspeneded this time. But, the hit was not severe enough to warrant 2 games in the Finals.

I'm glad they don't just slavishly follow the rules, and actually think about the situation before suspending people.

Look at what blind dedication to the suspension rules did to Phoenix in the NBA playoffs.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM

NBA is also retarded since players walk onto the court all the time without suspension.

As an aside, here's some discussion about the Predators (~14:00 mark) and a rumor about TWO new expansions (Las Vegas & Kansas City @ ~16:45)
http://www.fan590.com/mediaplayer/audiop..._2007-06-01.mp3
Old 06-04-2007, 05:35 PM

FWIW, I was in Vegas during the Ottawa/Jersey series and wore my Sens jersey on gamedays. Everywhere I went people stopped me to talk hockey. I was really, really shocked.

It wouldn't surprise me if a team would be viable there though I'd expect a substantial segment of the fan base would be transient - Tourists who would take in a game if their team was in town (as I would have). Or simply go for the novelty as part of the whole Vegas experience.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Jesus Ducks, I mean they have to know the refs are going to be watching Neil like a hawk, but they can't help themselves I guess (even though the first call was ridiculous). Just play, and you'll get a chance to get him back.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Emery looks like he was shot in the heart right there. Some excellent dives so far.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 PM

ALFIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god. The Sens deserved a goal after how they played that whole period.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ALFIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god. The Sens deserved a goal after how they played that whole period.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't deserve a goal off a power play drawn by a diving goalie 2 feet out of his crease.