Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Default PL O8 SnGs

I've recently gotten bored with Hold 'em and started playing a lot of PL O8 Sit and Go's, mostly just as a change of pace. I've found that I've been very successful, and I think there are a couple of reasons for this.

First, it seems in almost every SnG (I usually play about 30+3 but I generally just join whatever looks like it will fill the quickest), there is at least one player who either doesn't know the rules (I've seen 2228 raised) or doesn't know the strategy (drawing at very weak lows, stone cold bluffing at strong boards in multi-way pots, etc.)

Second, I've found that playing extremely tight early (I'm amazed at how often people limp with horrible hands because it's cheap to get it, then sort of catch and go broke) and then playing very aggressive late when people are just trying to sneak into the money can be very effective. With five people left, most players go into shutdown mode and stealing the blinds become very easy. Because of the split pot nature of the game, it's not even that terrifying to get called as long as I have a two way hand.

Third, I've had a very good run of luck. I've come in top three in I think 14 of my first 20 SnGs, which is obviously unsustainable regardless of skill level. I think my strategy will lead to a lot of cashes and not that many firsts as somebody has to take the fish money early, and it usually isn't me. Still, I'm enjoying the game a lot more than Hold 'Em.

Does anybody have any tips/tricks/stories/hands/etc.?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: PL O8 SnGs

You've got a good foundation on which to build. Maybe search this forum for "tournament" and "MTT" perhaps with PL included if the results are too voluminous. This is a good way to learn the ropes. Eventually the SNG supply isn't adequate and you will need some cash games in you. Just forget about NLHE for now, it's that desperate old flame that will always take you back, and always be there. Just milk the sexy Omaha broad for all she's worth!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: PL O8 SnGs

sharkscope A_Ivanovich on pokerstars, then watch him 12 table the 16's and 32's. That made me a winner in those.