Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: wanting to become a cop

dont do it. my dad is a cop. he and his friend hate theyre lives. they hate everyone. if youre going to be a cop in a big city, you will eventually hate people. you will become insanely racist, etc. trust me, its a bad idea. it changes you, for the worst
Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol what? The dude from Frasier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the police academy movies?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, ohhh. Yeah, not really. I only saw snippets on TV.

But, does an individual who wants to be a cop have to go a police academy?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont do it. my dad is a cop. he and his friend hate theyre lives. they hate everyone. if youre going to be a cop in a big city, you will eventually hate people. you will become insanely racist, etc. trust me, its a bad idea. it changes you, for the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to guess becoming a cop isn't what made your dad a huge racist or mad him hate his life. Just a shot in the dark...
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM

I think it might be different here in Canada, but I had a friend who tried to become a cop and when he took the polygraph he admitted to having tried marijuana on one occasion years ago and this disqualified him from getting the job. However, I remember watching that documentary Cocaine Cowboys and it mentioned that in Miami ca. 1980 they had to stop screening cops for drug addiction because they couldn't get enough people on the force. Then like a year later 22 cops got busted for dealing coke, lol.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to guess becoming a cop isn't what made your dad a huge racist or mad him hate his life. Just a shot in the dark...

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge, do you not understand how becoming a cop could very rapidly turn you into a huge racist who hates his life? Being a cop has got to be one of the toughest professions to do well and not let it affect you too much personally.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge, do you not understand how becoming a cop could very rapidly turn you into a huge racist who hates his life? Being a cop has got to be one of the toughest professions to do well and not let it affect you too much personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

correlation =/= causation
Old 07-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Although not as strict as Canada's sounds, I think most US cities take a very dim view of substantial past drug use. For example, the following is from the list of "Automatic Disqualifiers" for my city's PD recruitment Link (pdf):

[ QUOTE ]
- Illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported marijuana for sale.
- Illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years.
- Illegally used marijuana, dangerous drugs or narcotics other than for experimentation. The use of an
illegal drug is presumed to be not for experimentation if:
1. The use of marijuana exceeds a total of 20 times or exceeds 5 times since the age of 21 years.
2. The use of dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana, exceeds a total of 5 times, or
exceeds 1 time since the age of 21 years.
- Illegally used marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
- Illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale any dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than
marijuana.
- Illegally used dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past
seven years.
1. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. Cocaine/crack, heroin, opium, morphine, LSD/acid, methamphetamine/speed, peyote (except
during religious ceremonies), mescaline, or derivatives thereof or steroids after 1994.
- Illegally used dangerous drugs or narcotics while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
- Had a pattern of abusing prescription medication.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how much different it would be in smaller towns, etc. If anything, it might be even more of a "zero-tolerance" thing.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Two guys I grew up with, who both got high (heavy) and did blow (occasionally) became cops. One is now a homicide detective. I smoked with both after they became cops. One played in an underground card room with me on a weekly basis for several years.

I'm believe I read somewhere that it is better to answer honestly about past drug use (specifically weed not sure about hard drugs), that alone won't disqualify you, but getting caught lying about it will.

Honestly, how many people between the ages of 20-35 have never tried reefer?

There are many resources on the web for strategies to defeat lie detector tests.

P.S. Good luck and don't be a dick if you make it.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The people who post in this forum: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...Board=politics
Old 07-19-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The people who post in this forum: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...Board=politics

[/ QUOTE ]
Good Call, I stand corrected.