Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: What are the top schools for undergrad recruiting?

I got into investment banking (R&A for M&A) with a 2.05 from case western reserve u.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think anyone in school should have the impression that investment banks don't care about grades

[/ QUOTE ]

of course. investment banks care a lot about grades, as do all employers, and from experience (both my own and friends') they along with consulting jobs care more about grades than do hedge fund, private equity, and trading shops.

All I was saying is that I know for a fact that you can have a GPA below 3.3 at Wharton and still get plenty of interviews and offers for many top finance jobs, although obviously it may be near impossible to get an M+A job for Goldman or a consulting position with McKinsey without connections, some serendipitous event, or some other extraordinary experience or siutation.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got into investment banking (R&A for M&A) with a 2.05 from case western reserve u.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain how??
Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 PM

I had about the best interview coach possible. Plus it was for a firm based out of a third class city like Allentown or Akron.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 AM

My mistake - i thought Kellog was undergrad as well. At one time they did have a shortened MBA route if you previously graduated from biz school.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My mistake - i thought Kellog was undergrad as well. At one time they did have a shortened MBA route if you previously graduated from biz school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Northwestern sort of has a business undergrad program as of last year, but it's not a separate school.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:48 PM

Ivy league
Brown,Columbia,Cornell,Dartmouth,Harvard,Prinston, Penn,Yale

I had a friend who went to Brown and said that it was a good school if you wanted to get recruited to the FBI or CIA... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, your school doesn't mean much if your GPA is below 3.3 It's usually the cut off to weed out the massive amounts of resumes received every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately (for me) this isn't true. it sure doesn't help though and does depend on what you want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's useful to consider who spearheads the hiring at the different shops. i-banks its mostly people who got there through cookie cutter college programs with high gpa's, hedge funds are probably the opposite in terms of founders. traders are never going to have high gpa's b.c. none of that is taught in college, and they realize it. and its not like they get thousands of resumes from undergrads that they can only meet for interview with the top few %.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, your school doesn't mean much if your GPA is below 3.3 It's usually the cut off to weed out the massive amounts of resumes received every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately (for me) this isn't true. it sure doesn't help though and does depend on what you want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

traders are never going to have high gpa's b.c. none of that is taught in college, and they realize it. and its not like they get thousands of resumes from undergrads that they can only meet for interview with the top few %.

[/ QUOTE ]

so traders don't have to have high gpa's? Im currently 2nd year, in philly looking to be a trader in nyc upon graduation. Should i try getting into the trading side of a bulge bracket firm, or try getting into a smaller but a firm more focused on trading?
so if they dont need high gpas, what are they looking for, other than very high quantitative skills.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so traders don't have to have high gpa's? Im currently 2nd year, in philly looking to be a trader in nyc upon graduation. Should i try getting into the trading side of a bulge bracket firm, or try getting into a smaller but a firm more focused on trading?
so if they dont need high gpas, what are they looking for, other than very high quantitative skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

the most important thing you can do to increase your chances of getting a job two years from now is get good grades. what school do you go to?