Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 PM

Default American Gangster

This movie was a travesty. But this article on Frank Lucas is very good. They could've written the script straigt from the article.
http://nymag.com/nymag/features/3649/
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: American Gangster

The movie was inspired by the article.

[ QUOTE ]
In Mark Jacobson's "The Return of Superfly," the Aug. 14, 2000, New York magazine article that provided the basis for this movie....

[/ QUOTE ]

review
Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 PM

Wow what a disappointment to read that review. Ridley Scott is such a great director yet so unreliable. He seems to be at his worst in urban melodrama. I think he needs space ships or crusades, and you need a Michael Mann directing this flick. The review at many points sounded like the movie was full of parallels to the relationship between cop and robber in Heat.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The movie was inspired by the article.

[ QUOTE ]
In Mark Jacobson's "The Return of Superfly," the Aug. 14, 2000, New York magazine article that provided the basis for this movie....

[/ QUOTE ]

review

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the article in the kink i gave
Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 AM

I saw this with the wife Saturday night. While I thought it was a bit to too pat, a bit of a cinematic spline that had to pass through certain predetermined points, it was definitely a good movie. Not great, but certainly not a travesty. Would recommend it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 AM

ahh i had high hopes for this one
Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 AM

78% on the tomatometer people. The film does not suck.

Jebus you people are picky.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 AM

I don't think that this film was a 'travesty'. I thought it was definitely worth a watch. While a bit long and drawn in the middle, I still enjoyed it. disclaimer- I really enjoy this genre of movie.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:59 AM

[censored] all the haters, denzel washington is a [censored] badass.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't characterize the movie as a travesty. It was a gangster movie the likes of which we've seen before enlivened by two of our finest actors.

The movie reminded me of three older movies, all of which, incidentally or not, starred Al Pacino: Serpico, in the sense that Crowe's cop is an honest cop looked at as a pariah by the dishonest cops around him; The Godfather II, especially when Lucas complains to the mafia boss that they tried to kill his wife; and Heat in the attempt to make the story into an epic and in trying to show that the cops are almost indistinuishable from the bad guys.

From the standpoint of craft, it was a terrific movie. Washington has a gravitas on film that exceeds that of any other actor today. And Crowe, apparently, decided to downplay his character accordingly, to good effect.

Though it is two hours and forty minutes, it proceeds at breakneck pace and doesn't feel long. While the story is interesting from an historical and sociological point of view, it seemed to me to have an emptiness about it that made it less interesting than my favorite gangster movies where we really get to know the villains (Goodfellas, or The Godfather. Lucas does give a speech about how he was sent on his path at age six when the cops killed his cousin (in actuality, according to the real Lucas, it was the KKK), but we don't really get a sense of knowing him like we got to know Michael Corleone or Henry Hill.

I wonder how the black community will view the film. The review in The New Yorker criticized the film for glorifying Lucas, but I didn't see it that way. That said, Lucas was a hero to perhaps the biggest black hero the coun- try has ever had, Joe Louis, and the film does show Louis at Lucas's trial.

Cuba Gooding is outstanding in a small role, as is Ruby Dee as Lucas's mother, and Josh Brolin does good work as the worse or the corrupt cops.

Well worth seeing. We went at 12:15 yesterday. It was sold out in a big theater and the audience applauded long and loud at the end. This would seem to be the kind of movie the Academy will look favorably upon.