Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 04:13 AM

Default Re: PokerStars: Allow Datamining

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't read the thread, but I agree 100% with the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gg
Old 10-20-2007, 04:16 AM

I'm probably on the side of OP in this.
I'm not going to get into that too much.

The cheaters at Absolute were tagged because people combined their known data on them to see the patterns.

Anyone who says they only were caught because of the excel file has either ignored the timeline of events or hasn't read the threads at all.

They were "caught" because of the data. The file was important because it led to the other things- namely accounts in the name of Absolute Poker management, the superuser account #363 and traces to the modem of the people.

People were convinced of the cheating long before the file came to light.

Hate the collection of data or not- it absolutely helped crack this case of cheating.
Anyone saying differently has an axe to grind with datamining.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hate the collection of data or not- it absolutely helped crack this case of cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

you left out the part where none of the data came from datamining. It all came from people who had actually played with the suspects.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you left out the part where none of the data came from datamining. It all came from people who had actually played with the suspects.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post was a direct rebuttal against inaccuracies being tossed about as justifications for opinions that are based in personal preference.
That's all.

Gaining access to multiple layers of personal hand histories that no one person could have was actually a hindrance in spotting the cheating.

I don't datamine. I've never purchased nor ever would a third party database.

People saying there wouldn't be benefits to it in instances like this are wrong.

It's fine for people to weigh personal feelings on it however they want.
Just don't make [censored] up to do it.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I would venture that the suspicions will always come from people who actually play with the suspects but that the suspicions will be confirmed by comparing the cheaters' stats with "normal" players' stats.

That's the way to catch most cheaters is what I mean. The specific Absolute Poker cheaters were too obvious. Their cheating was too blatant. Don't bother to compare their stats, etc. But data analysis is the only correct way to catch the clever cheats, the majority of cheats!

Thinking otherwise, and taking the Absolute Poker case as precedent-setting, would be results-oriented thinking.

Besides, the cheats and the bot programmers read the papers too...
Old 10-20-2007, 12:47 AM

Wouldn't BBV or 2p2 in general have a pretty good % of hands on any given player at most any limit w/o mining? If I see one of my regulars brought up in a bot/cheat thread I'd send whoever is on the case the hands I've got. Or are you saying we don't have time to look for cheating in non-mined HH's?
Old 10-20-2007, 05:34 AM

I just wanted to re-iterate that many people are already datamining Stars, and I believe that this is enough to catch any obvious underhandedness like the others that's come to light this year. Just because Stars don't 'allow' it, don't think religious dataminers are going to stop. As long as you can observe tables, Stars will have dataminers.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Come on poker stars, open it up. Let us help you maintain your reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the way it was maintained for fulltilt and absolute? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Come on poker stars, open it up. Let us help you maintain your reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the way it was maintained for fulltilt and absolute? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
thumbs up!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:25 AM

Folks, we can have it both ways.

There is a plan which would both keep people from having a huge advantage by datamining, and allow people to use datamining to catch cheaters.

It is this: One year after a hand is played, everything about that hand becomes public knowledge, including the players' hole cards.

Now, you can't get too much of an advantage from this, because it will only tell you how someone was playing a year ago -- not how they play today.

At the same time, you can use it to catch cheaters -- though there will be an unfortunate 1-year delay.