bet/call 5 41.67%
bet/3b 5 41.67%
check/raise 1 8.33%
bet/fold (NITS) 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: STTF SNG->cash thread

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not crazy, this 3bet is a very questionable play, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

this was the question guys. I guess it depends on what his read on the riaser and the players left to act is.

It really depends on what % of the 15/11 players EP raising range he'll fold. Personally I just call if there wasn't significant chance some one behind would squeeze.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 AM

I think blackize is just questioning CO's play, not his own.

A8s isn't the greatest hand for it, but it's not crazy or anything and depends on the history of the session and more specific reads on UTG, imo.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this was the question guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just last week, I learned what a "cold call" meant in "no limits." What's your point?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think blackize is just questioning CO's play, not his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah

[ QUOTE ]

A8s isn't the greatest hand for it, but it's not crazy or anything and depends on the history of the session and more specific reads on UTG, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 80 hands I've played with him, he seems to just be a fairly straightforward TAG on the nitty side.

I posted this hand because it seems like this is basically a bluff on the part of the CO since he's a sizeable dog to the UTG raising range.

Like microbet said, A8s isn't the greatest hand for it. A8s is behind UTG's range and it doesn't play well postflop against his UTG opening range, much less his 3bet calling range.

I guess it's safe to say who this was since it will help in the context of my question. CO in this hand was DJ Sensei.

The last couple days DJ Sensei and fslexcduck have been playing 1/2(or at least someone on their names) and they have been making some rather odd 3bets.

I've caught fslexcduck 3betting my UTG open with QTo from the button(I run 16/16 shortstacking). The fact that these 2 very solid players are making preflop moves with hands that don't play well postflop(or preflop in duck's case) has me wondering if there might be something to these plays.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this was the question guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just last week, I learned what a "cold call" meant in "no limits." What's your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's it mean? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 02:53 AM

bsize,

They might just be screwing around or seeing a spot to isolate against someone they think they can make fold a lot of the time. They especially might not be giving a shortstacker in nl200 much credit even if they are wrong in this case.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:53 AM

I think that when you have two good players playing, showdown value becomes less important, with position increasing in value.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

UTG is 16/11 over the 80 hands I have on him. CO is a very well respected 2+2er who generally plays higher stakes who is running like 26/22

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $83.25
UTG: $200
CO: $205.25
BTN: $72.95
Hero (SB): $49.50

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $7</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $24</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $49.50 and is All-In</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $25.50

Flop: ($108) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: ($108) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($108) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $108 Pot ($3 Rake)
CO showed 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Twos) and LOST (-$49.50 NET)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a full house, Queens full of Twos) and WON $105 (+$55.50 NET)

[/ QUOTE ]

think it through some. If a guy is running 26/22 he is definately making these type plays. It's very hard to raise almost 25% of hands preflop without making speculative 3 bets in position. you really need to be able to look at pt stats and really know the style it represents.

you can do that by really focusing on that aspect for a while to get a feel for it. You can also play around some at lower stakes and hit those numbers yourself. once you've played a style yourself some you have a pretty decent read on their play.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 AM

lacky, I agree that to play 26/22 he is going to be 3-betting some speculative hands. But, maybe not as much as you think, and probably not that often against a 15/11.

Those are similar to my preflop stats, and people spew big time to me cause they assume I'm much looser with my 3-bets than I am.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 AM

it's probably because I'm much looser in my 3 bet range playing 26/22, especailly if the beter is playing really tight. It's similer really to an early sng situation. he is playing REALLY tight (even though there is no real benifit here). If I'm 3 betting a wide range in possition, and he knows it, LOTS of flops are gonna put him in a really ocward spot.

good point though, there are definately different ways to play 26/22.

I mostly play 20/16 ish in 6max, so more straight forward.