Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Default QJo Call an All-In?

I played a $2 heads up shoot out sng, last night. Villian pushed all in every single hand. Fortunatly for him, I wasn't getting any cards. After mucking about 10 hands in a row, I got QJo. I called his all in. He had 10/8o. The flop and turn were blanks, but the river was an 8 - I always seem to get rivered on full tilt.

Did I make the right move, calling an all-in w/QJo?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: QJo Call an All-In?

QJo has 58% equity against a random hand. I probably wouldn't call with much worse than this though. Worth noting that 55 has 60% equity against a random hand and AKo has 65%. Gauge for yourself whether you think 58% is good enough. I would probably call.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM

Without stack and blind size information the question can't be answered. But QJo is only a small favorite over a random hand. Unless the blinds are huge, you can wait for a better spot than that.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without stack and blind size information the question can't be answered. But QJo is only a small favorite over a random hand. Unless the blinds are huge, you can wait for a better spot than that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most likely stacks are 50BB.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Most likely stacks are 50BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Plenty of time to wait for a better hand then. Let this guy keep stealing your blinds. Eventually you'll get an ace or a pocket pair.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this. If villain is pushing every hand preflop (which we can be pretty confident of after 10 hands), I think it's a mistake to fold QJo. Sure he could have Ax or Kx, but so often you're going to be a large favorite.

As mentioned earlier, QJo has 58.1% equity against a random hand. That's more than adequate to call here.

There may be dissenting opinions in the form of "I've got a winrate of 60% right now. Why would I want to take a bet as "only" a 58% favorite?" Well, obviously you'll also be calling with better hands than QJo, giving you more equity against this type of player. But an important thing to consider here is the fact that you can take the 58% equity immediately. This match can be over in a few seconds, and he's just handing you money, allowing you to start another match.

If you're concerned about your winrate, maybe you can fold this. If you're concerned about winning money, this is an easy call.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're concerned about your winrate, maybe you can fold this. If you're concerned about winning money, this is an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]
You make a good point, I wasn't even thinking about the metagame. I was only thinking about maximizing your chances of winning this particular match, and not at all about how long it would take. If you highly value getting the match over quick so you can move on to the next one, call with QJo. If you want to maximize your chance of winning this match, fold.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Great points. I really thought about it before I called. I came close to folding and wait for any Ace because I really hate to give money to players like these. Thanks for the info?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM

Ace, 2 is 55% vs a random hand. QJ fairs better.