Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: what bank should i use at northwestern?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
B&M banks are for fish. They give like .7% interest on savings accounts. Even if you don't have a lot of money to collect interest on, there's no reason to pass up higher interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you want to actually withdraw from a convienient ATM without paying fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I linked to a BoA account that gives just under 5% interest, and even more if you have a high balance. So you can transfer funds (up to 6x per month with no charge) from that account to your BoA checking account to give yourself enough cash for ATM withdrawals. And BoA has a ton of ATMs all over the country. Thats a special deal though. If you just walk into a B&M bank on the first day of school like every other college kid and set up a checking and savings account, they'll totally shaft you. Nowadays with online banks that offer interest rates with 5%+ interest and free electronic transfers, there's no reason to keep a lot of money in the crappy accounts that most B&M banks offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading mine. The closest BoA posts to campus are a 5 block walk. Not convienient espeically for a freshman living in a dorm.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
B&M banks are for fish. They give like .7% interest on savings accounts. Even if you don't have a lot of money to collect interest on, there's no reason to pass up higher interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you want to actually withdraw from a convienient ATM without paying fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I linked to a BoA account that gives just under 5% interest, and even more if you have a high balance. So you can transfer funds (up to 6x per month with no charge) from that account to your BoA checking account to give yourself enough cash for ATM withdrawals. And BoA has a ton of ATMs all over the country. Thats a special deal though. If you just walk into a B&M bank on the first day of school like every other college kid and set up a checking and savings account, they'll totally shaft you. Nowadays with online banks that offer interest rates with 5%+ interest and free electronic transfers, there's no reason to keep a lot of money in the crappy accounts that most B&M banks offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading mine. The closest BoA posts to campus are a 5 block walk. Not convienient espeically for a freshman living in a dorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post said nothing about BoA or its proximity to freshman dorms. Anyway, the main point of my post was that you should be putting the majority of your funds in an bank, probably online, with high interest rates and transferring the minimum of what you need for ATM withdrawals to a bank with lots of ATMS. I'm just trying to give the OP advice that could save him a lot of money and your curt comment didn't really contributing anything, just like it didn't in the camping thread that I started.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30 AM

lol ok sorry i hurt your feelings. Here is a lollipop to make you feel better.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:30 PM

i'm going to nu and was planning on using ING direct for savings and linking it with a US Bank checking account...thoughts?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to nu and was planning on using ING direct for savings and linking it with a US Bank checking account...thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what I do
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what I do

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll only have ~1500 max in my ING direct account at any given point..so does it even make sense to go through the hassle of setting up an account there and at US bank?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 AM

I mean it's up to you. It takes like 20 minutes
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what I do

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll only have ~1500 max in my ING direct account at any given point..so does it even make sense to go through the hassle of setting up an account there and at US bank?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is either worth it now, or a very good habit to get in to.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:42 PM

where are the northwestern people living next year? i'm gonna be a senior living in park evanston (next to whole foods)
Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 PM

im stuck in foster house again unfortunately, i looked for off campus housing too late...

JB