Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 AM

Default just found out i\'m down 20k LONG (with cliff notes)

I'm 20 and am going into my junior year of college,my parents are generally sneaky when it comes to financial transactions that involve me.

We are not incredibally rich, but for example we live in a house worth well over 1 million dollars. I go to a 30k a year school, I recieved an academic scholarship for around 14k a year. (my budget was keep it below 20k a year after scholarship, I did 30-14 for 16k)

They pay for most of my stuff... clothes (not all of them, but enough to manage with) food, gave me 3k for a car when I was 18...they don't give me spending money or anything like that, but DEFINATELY enough to live off of comftorably as a college student

I was under the assumption my Dad was paying for my college, which I was thankful for. I opened the mail today and it's some student loan bill, I question my Dad about it and he says don't worry I don't have to pay till six months after I graduate, he continues to say it will be around 20k.

CLiff notes:
Well off family provides for 99% of sons NECESSITES

Kid recieves 14k scholarship for 30k a year school and Dad agrees to pay for college if he goes there

2 years later kid finds student loan bills in the mail, Dad goes, o ya ur gonna owe around 20k when ur done with school...u signed some paper when u were 17 and not paying attention, u don't remember?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: just found out i\'m down 20k LONG (with cliff notes)

Your dad sounds awesome
Old 08-01-2007, 01:13 AM

Basically I'm pissed, I don't want to be 20k in debt, I don't plan on having a hi paying job till i'm about 25 or I find someone I want to marry/provide for (whichever comes first) this seriously disrupts my plans... what makes it worse is, I can't really complain... he's still paying for a HUUUUGEEEE portion of my education and just my life in general until I graduate... but it jus seems so sleazy, like I'm just some cost and he found a way to minimize it by being sneaky about maxing out my student loan potential (maybe he could have done more?) and sticking me with the bill

also, he goes you know it's no big deal, you get a job 50k a year... thousand dollars a week... it's consistent you'll pay it off in no time.... thanks Dad for asking me what I wanted to do after college, instead of just assuming I'd like to spend what's left of my lower twenties stuck in an office

arghhh I'm just mad... my life is great, and I owe it all to my dad, but for now I just feel like a pawn, and at the very least it's his fault for making me feel that way

standard wah wah wah i had to dig coal mines to pay off my student loans are expected, but posts from people who can actually relate to me would be appreciated
Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your dad sounds awesome

[/ QUOTE ]
sarcasm? or no... i mean he's definately provided a great life for me
Old 08-01-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your dad sounds awesome

[/ QUOTE ]
sarcasm?

[/ QUOTE ]

duh
Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 AM

The fact that your parents give you any money at all puts you ahead of most people your age. Its a little douchey that they didn't tell you, but its very normal that they expect you to pay for it. Be thankful they pay for food and clothes because you sure as hell could get a lot less from them.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 AM

If he told you, would you go to a cheaper school to not be 20k in debt? Would you rather him not pay for clothes car expenses etc and be a dirt poor college student working his ass off to make ends meet?

This is rather disgusting, complaining about owing 20k after college, when its almost costing that every year and he's footing the majority of the bill plus more. Grow up please. There's kids working their ass off during college and still graduate with three or four times the amount you owe. I'm sorry he ruined your plans, but judging from your whiny post, your plan most likely wasn't all that spectacular.

I don't think you're going to find many people relating to you, because there quite simply aren't that many ignorant, spoiled children.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 AM

Did your dad cosign? It would be pretty funny to default and leave him holding the bag.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 AM

I don't agree with the hate at all... if you would have gone to a diff school had you known you were going to pay then you definitely have reason to be upset.

If you would've gone along with the plan and been willing to fork over 20k even if you had known, then it sucks and is kinda douchey but you can't really complain about much.

However, I don't understand what kind of relationship you have with your parents where (a) they would try to pull the wool over your eyes like that and (b) instead of confronting them about it and having a serious discussion and telling them how you feel, you posted on an internet message board instead. I'm not trying to diss you or hate on you, but it seems really odd to me.

Tell your dad how you feel - if you want to do non profitable, life enriching stuff after college like travel or Teach for America or join the peace corps or work on a campaign or something and now you can't b/c you have to pay off debt see if your dad will pay it off for you now and allow you to pay him back in the future at zero interest plus inflation.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was under the assumption my Dad was paying for my college, which I was thankful for. I opened the mail today and it's some student loan bill, I question my Dad about it and he says don't worry I don't have to pay till six months after I graduate, he continues to say it will be around 20k.

[/ QUOTE ]

you could have had a talk a while ago about funding for college, rather than just assume it was being paid for in full. But there are much worse things than going to an expensive school and being down 20k. Debt is no fun, but college is pricey, and college prices have been going up at twice or three times the rate of inflation . This is the exact reason why there is such a thing as the "boomerang generation." Students move back home to pay off their loans.