Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Best/worst movie genres

Assume a typical video store like blockbuster or hollywood video.
You have to pick a section of the store from which your movie for the night will randomly be chosen. You have to watch the movie all the way through. What are the best/worst genres?

Here's my breakdown from worst to best.

Drama: Ugh. Most movies in this category are going to be predictable, badly acted, slowpaced, and boring as hell.
I'd rather read youtube comments.

Comedy: This is slightly better than drama, but still AWFUL. Most of these movies will not make you laugh even once. The jokes will be extremely outdated, and the quality in general will be just as bad as the average drama movie. The upside is that comedies generally have a somewhat faster pace than dramas.

Action: Things start to look a bit better here. I'd much rather watch a cheesy terrible action scene than watch a totally unfunny or vacuous comedy or drama scene. Still, on the whole, action movies will leave almost anyone disappointed. The reason is that the majority of action movies in the action section are just bad dramas with some guns or karate thrown in there.

Horror: Yesssssss. I would ALMOST watch a random horror movie voluntarily when I am in the right mood for it. People die constantly in these movies, and they often feature somewhat entertaining mythologies with devils, leprechauns, vampires, etc. to keep one entertained, if only mildly so.

Foreign: The average foreign movie is often quite good. The reason is that very few foreign movies end up on the shelves in america. Go to the video store and pick up a random foreign film. Every other one will be a cannes official selection or highly regarded by another highly reputable source. Compare that to some terrible straight to DVD action movie whose only positive review is from a website set up by the producers themselves.

Feel free to add more categories. I didn't do sci-fi for example.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Best/worst movie genres

The average foreign movie is awful, we just get the good ones over here.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drama: Ugh. Most movies in this category are going to be predictable, badly acted, slowpaced, and boring as hell.

Comedy: This is slightly better than drama, but still AWFUL. Most of these movies will not make you laugh even once. The jokes will be extremely outdated, and the quality in general will be just as bad as the average drama movie. The upside is that comedies generally have a somewhat faster pace than dramas.

[/ QUOTE ]

STOPFUCKINGPOSTING.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average foreign movie is awful, we just get the good ones over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's what I said. The average foreign movie is probably worse than the average american movie.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STOPFUCKINGPOSTING.

[/ QUOTE ]
WalkUpCondo

Reged: 11/10/06

cool
Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 PM

snowball, i would give you a * for this post but your title is so accurate that i hate to change it
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STOPFUCKINGPOSTING.

[/ QUOTE ]
WalkUpCondo

Reged: 11/10/06

cool

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your contribution.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 PM

worst: romcom
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM

best: mobmovies

as far as foriegn movies, in general they suck, but the ones that are good just blow tons of stuff out of the water.

worst: romantic comedy.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 PM

i think guids is one of those rare posters who deserves both a 'guids is right' and a 'guids is wrong' gimmick account