Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 AM

Default being card dead...NL

I find that when im looking at 82 k4 and t3 for an hour str8, that i feel wierd raising. In limit it doesnt matter because people dont care and wanna play, but in nl, i find that people are much more cautious and either a) arent going to give me action or B) know exactly what kind of hand i have and im going to be at a disadvantage.

anything you guys do in this type of situation that im missing here.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: being card dead...NL

Fold and be board till you get a hand or limp in or 2 or 3X raise with connectors or marginal hand and show what you played with.....That would get you off the A) and B) situation you described above...
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 AM

I have this problem in NL as well. A few times I haven't got as much action in LHE but it is like you said a bigger issue in NLHE for me as well. I like jackson's advice but for some reason I never seem to do it when I play live.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:03 AM

sounds like ur playing live poker where you just have to be patient... if u get card dead for a while you can look for a good spot to steal since ur image is good
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like ur playing live poker where you just have to be patient... if u get card dead for a while you can look for a good spot to steal since ur image is good

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at any limits lower than 10/20NL there is no metagame, your avg live NL player doesn't really pay attention to "image"
Old 03-05-2007, 05:14 PM

This is one big advantage you have in NL over Limit.
In limit if you are in a loose/passive game which I mostly am when I play live and you go card dead there really isn't much you can do because if you raise (even if you haven't played a hand in ages) with crap people will call anyway. You have to just continue to fold until the cards change or you limp in cheap and hit a big flop.

In NL you can easy bet enough before or after the flop with nothing and get most people to fold. The pressure of the big bet in NL is what matters most where in most live low limit games you have to have the cards to win.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 PM

if you is card dead for so long and need to build chips then grow bulls and bluff alot.this works often until u go card live again
Old 03-06-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you is card dead for so long and need to build chips then grow bulls and bluff alot.this works often until u go card live again

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffing a little occasionally works. Bluffing a lot when card dead is suicide, at least at lower stakes.

Some people, even dolts or crazies, will notice that you hvaen't played a hand in an hour. Sometimes even if they don't notice, some other player will say it out loud for them to hear. Then when you raise and maybe c-bet you can pick up the pot. But even then, some players, even bad players, are still going to play against you even if they think you have AA or KK. In fact it's easier to play against someone when you think you know their cards. They'll get a huge kick out of busting you. Of course only you know you don't have AA, but that doesn't stop them from playing against you and your AA.

But if you don't show down a good hand, then you can't keep bluffing.

Usually, I've found I'm just better off waiting for cards to beat them with. Then I can start adding bluffs back into the mix. Getting a lot of good cards and bluffing are complementary, but getting all bad cards and continuing to bluff are not.

I assume you are talking about cash play by the way.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 PM

I agree that at lower limits image isn't as big a thang. Today playing 3/6 LHE I folded for about 45 minutes str8, picked up KK UTG and got 6 cold callers. Typical.