Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 AM

Default staking practicalities

a good and trustworthy friend of mine who i consider to be my equal (poker skills-wise) is short on cash due to unexpected expenses. i am considering staking him but before speaking to him about it would need some advice regarding the specifics.

so, what i need to know is: what is the most common set up for cash game staking? for example: percentage-wise, how much should i demand of the winnings?

i would appreciate it if people avoid posting comments like: "staking is for losers", etc. i am not interested in the normative aspects of staking. strictly pratical advice please. for example: how would you u set it up at pokerstars? how do u keep records?

thank you.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Re: staking practicalities

OK first of all, you need to tell him to give you his password for pokerstars so you can check on his account and make sure he's not lying about winnings or losses, and you can see his progress any time you want to.

As far as percentage of winnings i'd say ask for 50% of winnings. 50/50 usually makes both sides happy, as you cant really argue someone's getting more than the other. He shouldn't argue at all to this because he's getting paid to play. If he loses say two full buyins at the level he's playing it then cutoff the staking, and tell him that's your rule at the beginning.