Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

nice post, Hanimal...i'm a big fan, too.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Iris DeMent's voice is miraculous. Some of you may be turned off by the fact that her voice is as Southern as Southern gets, but DeMent is no redneck. Allmusic calls her "country-folk", which I guess is accurate.

Live performance of "Our Town" with Emmylou Harris - http://youtube.com/watch?v=5v7dXA-LWVk

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome thread guys. Because of your recommendation, Odell, I'm listening to Iris DeMent's Our Town right now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Very cool, I'd never heard of her before. I'm an Emmylou Harris fan and love the fiddle too. The voices go very nicely together. Thank you so much for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an old Iris Dement CD sitting around here somewhere...I love the clip of her and Emmylou...
Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 AM

Iris Dement singing "Our Town" featured in the finale of Northern Exposure. After hearing it and having no idea who the singer was I went nuts looking for this song.

If you like that then Michelle Shocked's Arkanas Traveler would also be up your alley http://www.michelleshocked.com/detai...er_reissue.htm

Women singing country & folk music really get me in. Female Pop/rock/blues/jazz singers much less so.

Michelle Shocked covers a wide range of music genres in her search for musical roots. But the stuff on Arkansas Traveler seems to suit her best.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nice post, Hanimal...i'm a big fan, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. (on both points)

That Paper Bag video is greatness, though unfortunately a lot of her videos are really bad ("The First Taste" being particularly awful). It sucks because I like Fiona quite a bit.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 AM

Unfortunately there is not much Michelle Shocked on youtube.

There is this gospel track though
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xJq11taAJgY
Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nice Sara Brightman post, and i love her work in Phantom...so I guess we'll let it go that she's not a "singer/songwriter." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spent an hour on Margo Timmins of Cowboy Junkies before it hit me that she may not have written most of the Junkies' songs. And she didn't (but her brother Michael did). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dibs on Maria McKee for later in the week.

~ Rick
Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lucinda Williams is fantastic and deserves a longer post. Go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a late night attempt to motivate someone with more time check out Right In Time, Drunken Angel and World Without Tears.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 AM

I expected to see two names on here I haven't seen yet -

I'm amazed no one mentioned Patty Griffin yet - she's an EXCEPTIONAL singer-songwriter

If you want testimony from other female singer-songwriters, it comes in the form of covering tunes - and she's had a lot of folks covering her stuff

Wikipedia lists Linda Ronstadt ("Falling Down"), the Dixie Chicks ("Truth No. 2," "Top of the World," "Let Him Fly"), Bette Midler ("Moses"), Mary-Chapin Carpenter ("Dear Old Friend"), Jessica Simpson ("Let Him Fly"), Martina McBride ("Goodbye"), Melissa Ferrick and Missy Higgins ("Moses"), Emmylou Harris ("One Big Love"), Bethany Joy Galeotti ("Blue Sky"), The Wreckers ("One More Girl"), Joan Osborne ("What You Are"), Solomon Burke ("Up to the Mountain"), and Miranda Lambert ("Getting Ready"). Kelly Clarkson performed "Up to the Mountain" with Jeff Beck on the Idol Gives Back episode of American Idol, - and I guess Kelly preformed it here in Minneapolis last week.

I'd say Patty has about 2 or 3 of the top 25 most played on my IPod - mostly from her first acoustic album where it was just her/guitar. Her cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Stolen Car" is one I used to listen to on repeat during my darker Jameson days - I'll refund the .99 cents of anyone who buys it on Itunes and isn't fully satisfied. The song itself makes you almost feel like a fugitive when you listen in the dark.

- the myspace link has some good retrospective work - but you can also check Youtube stuff here

Patty has some great lyrics and is a phenom. singer - her first album was a stripped down demo - one voice/one guitar, that would blow your mind. She sorta got shuffled around a bit the first couple albums but now she's on Dave Matthews' label.

Recommendations - Living With Ghosts, Children Running Thru, and 1000 Kisses - (for starters)
----------

And of course, Gillian Welch

- severe Americana that makes you feel you're back in the 1920's - I have a version of her doing Pancho and Lefty that I've also left on repeat about 50 times - Gillian has some great imagery in her lyrics and one song in particular - a 12 minute epic called "I Dream A Highway" contains some of my favorite lines of all time at about 50 bpm

Oh I dream a highway back to you love
A winding ribbon with a band of gold
A silver vision come arrest my soul
I dream a highway back to you.

Which lover are you, Jack of Diamonds?
Now you be Emmylou and I'll be Gram
I send a letter, don't know who I am

I'm an indisguisable shade of twilight
Any second now I'm gonna turn myself on
In the blue display of the cool cathode ray

I wish you knew me, Jack of Diamonds
Fire-riding, wheeling when I lead em up
Drank whiskey with my water, sugar in my tea
My sails in rags with the staggers and the jags

Gillian's also been covered by a host of songwriters - and you can see more of her at the Youtube, of course

Recommendations: - Time the Revelator and Soul Journey.

RB
Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 AM

Here is a better link for you whiskeytown http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...;search=Search
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 AM

thank you - yes I boneheaded it again - 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

rb