Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: how would criminal activity be dealt with in a stateless society?

[ QUOTE ]
Dont you feel if you elimnated welfare crime would also increase?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. If we stop practicing organized violence to transfer goods from the rich to the poor, "crime" would probably increase. It all depends on what you define as crime, though.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Old 11-01-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If freedom necessariy leads to chaos, then chaos it is. I'm not entitled to order at the expense of other people's freedom. Of course I hope that chaos in the sense you mean it would not ensue, and at the very least not last.

edit: But you really underestimate how powerful non-violent sanctions can be. If nobody wants to deal with you, you have nowhere to live, nothing to eat, noone to protect you even though everyone hates you, so on. If your irrational criminal doesn't care about that, he's going to have a tough life and die young.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesnt care about that, THEN PRISON WILL NOT DETER HIM EITHER. Thats the more important point.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont you feel if you elimnated welfare crime would also increase?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, a couple hundred million people pay taxes, no way crime goes up by a couple hundred million crimes.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but with competing Thunderdomes aren't we guarenteed of the best possible Thunderdomes?

Cody
Old 11-01-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If freedom necessariy leads to chaos, then chaos it is. I'm not entitled to order at the expense of other people's freedom. Of course I hope that chaos in the sense you mean it would not ensue, and at the very least not last.

edit: But you really underestimate how powerful non-violent sanctions can be. If nobody wants to deal with you, you have nowhere to live, nothing to eat, noone to protect you even though everyone hates you, so on. If your irrational criminal doesn't care about that, he's going to have a tough life and die young.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesnt care about that, THEN PRISON WILL NOT DETER HIM EITHER. Thats the more important point.

[/ QUOTE ] Won't deter him, but it will keep him from doing crime while he's in prison. Of course, not for free.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But you really underestimate how powerful non-violent sanctions can be. If nobody wants to deal with you, you have nowhere to live, nothing to eat, noone to protect you even though everyone hates you, so on. If your irrational criminal doesn't care about that, he's going to have a tough life and die young.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think it matters if the criminal has a short life and dies young. Some whackjob that only lives to the age of 25 can still do a ton of damage if there's nothing to keep him in check.

As for the response detailing the establishment of a security firm with required membership among the citizens for protection: How is requiring people to pay for protection then punishing them with violence a better alternative to government taxing people and providing law enforcement? Seems to me like the only difference is the former is much more susceptible to power abuse and corruption because there's nothing to keep the power of the security organization in check.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DRO's always struck me as being contingent on all parties playing along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. I think proponents of the DRO solution are far underestimating the amount of numbskulls in society who wouldnt follow a logical set of rules and would instead pretty much say "[censored] this I'll do what I want when I want and answer to no one"
Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 AM

If society ostracized a certain group of individuals it seems to be a pretty good opportunity to open up a camp where these individuals could work and have them sign a contract that says my guards can zap them with a taser if they get to rowdy.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ridiculous. parolees under the current system are shunned every bit as much as your "non-violent punishment" and they manage to survive, whether its by further criminal activity or by legitimate means.

The sarcastic post is right on. Any DRO system will eventually evolve toward government, without the name, but will have the same effect or it will be ineffective.