View Poll Results: Lion vs. Elephant
Lion 38 19.19%
Elephant 160 80.81%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: OOT expose your prejudice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i feel like somehow christians have given republican politics a bad name, to the point where people equate being a republican with being a christian wackjob.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is bush's fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Bush is really more the Ultra-Religious Right's perfect president, more a creation of the movement than a leader. Realistically, practically every politician is Christian (or professes to be) regardless of party affiliation because it is impossible to win an election otherwise. It's all a matter of who is willing to pander to the nutjob conservative base. It's guys like James Dobson and Jerry Falwell who are the real problem.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rundownhouse you're basically doing the same thing by saying that mormons annoy you and trying to project it onto all christians somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point was that constant exposure to one group can easily bias you one way or another wrt all groups. I don't know anyone who's Baha'i - Anacardo, I guess - so I don't have an opinion one way or another. I do know tons of crazy-assed Southern Baptists, so I've formed a judgment about them.

I dunno, I feel like lots of people really take the "Don't judge people!" thing way too far. Of course I'm judging you. If I meet you on a corner screaming about God bringing the wrath of AIDS down on the gays, then I'm probably going to judge you so harshly that you don't ever have a chance to show me otherwise. If you tell me you've devoted your life to Jesus, or you're a heroin addict, or you just got back from Iraq, whatever, I'm going to judge you way less extremely, but I'm still going to apply a bias. You'll have your chance to affect it, but there it is.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Atheist - I think you should keep it to yourself. If we had only been talking 20 minutes I would think less of them if they brought it up out of the blue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuey you are wise. Anyone who brought up ANY of these topics within 20 minutes of meeting me would immediately be red-flagged as an obnoxious attention-whore. It doesn't matter that much if I agree with them; I don't want to hear it that soon. Anyone who can't help but bring up their personal convictions that quickly is probably really annoying.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who brought up ANY of these topics within 20 minutes of meeting me would immediately be red-flagged as an obnoxious attention-whore.

[/ QUOTE ]
I worked for a small equity-research firm, and we had just hired a new sales guy. He goes out to dinner with the big boss and all of us analysts. We just sat down to eat and an analyst that had been hired within the past 6 months asked a political question like what he thought of the mess in Iraq, and proceeded to get into a huge argument/rant. One of the most embarrassing meals of my life.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
another dumb one, more people (more than half!) would think less of someone if they were christian, but less people would think less of someone if they were muslim. pure hilarity there. just more proof that in today's society it's basically not ok to make fun of a person unless they are a straight, white, or christian

[/ QUOTE ]
Go live in Salt Lake and see if you think less of Mormons than other Christians once they've been knocking on your door at 8AM every Saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mormons aren't christians IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not? They believe in Christ

[/ QUOTE ]

So do muslims....but they believe in things that happened after christ, much the same as mormons

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but mormons follow the teachings of Christ, muslims dont.

So I still dont see why you wouldnt consider them christians
Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Anyone who thinks less of someone who served in the military is a [censored] moron seriously

I would love the people who voted like this to defend themselves
Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 AM

"By the way, before we take this conversation further, I should mention that I'm married to a nagger."
Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 AM

army and republican (which I can relate to Australia's right wing party) although in actual fact the republican thing I've known friends who've told me and it hasn't changed any at all after like 5 minutes initial shock and i've brought many of them over to the left.

army is strange, because I have had a few good friends and who've been in the army but they were open about it and it didn't change anything, however if someone i hid it it would seem strange and would get an initial ughh wtf?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 AM

Actually I wish I could unvote, I don't really care I dunno why I put these two down I'm actually realising now that it wouldn't matter at all after about say the 15 seconds it's been since my last post.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah, but mormons follow the teachings of Christ, muslims dont.

So I still dont see why you wouldnt consider them christians

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, maybe it is being nitpicky, but mormon scripture includes joseph smith's revelations. the book of mormon recounts christ's ministries in north america. so mormons are following different teachings of christ than mainstream christians. i also think most christians don't consider mormons as christians. distinguishing religions based on their sacred works seems fair enough.