Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 10:20 AM

Default A hand I played poorly

UTG is a 56/15/1.5 but only over 40 hands. In general he has been passive, but doesn't only bet with the nuts. He likely has something here - he's not a random donker from what I can tell (and he's betting into the pfr+3-bettor).

BB is a 40/0/.6 also over 40 hands. Don't know too much about him.

CO has 21/12/2 stats so his cold call preflop is odd.

The button I have a lot of hands on and is something like 35/20. Capable of bluffing, semi-bluffing etc. He's not crazy though and definitely has a hand here.

What were my mistakes in this hand?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (15.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (10.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB
Old 03-30-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: A hand I played poorly

I would have folded the flop, but it is really close.
Sure your getting 16-1 immediate, but someone could easily raise behind you. I think this flop could have hit these guys. Your A outs maybe dirty. With the bdfd and bdsd it pushes it closer to a call.

I would probably just check the river here.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:56 PM

I like it up till the river. I would just check.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 PM

As Ramrod said the flop is close because button may very well raise, but I frankly don't know what the PF 3betting range is for a 35/20 player in that spot. Some of those guys are position whores, some aren't. When in doubt I call when the pot is that big.
I like the turn check (I guess you could bet/call here?) but given the turn action the river is a clear B/F in a protected pot.

I think you played it fine. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 PM

Is raising the flop here terrible? We could fold out all sorts of draws and if anybody 3-bets we can easily fold. UTG's play could be suited-connectors that hit a four-flush...I don't really know what else he could be limping with UTG and then betting out on the flop with...
Old 03-30-2006, 01:26 PM

Would it be wrong raising the flop? Otherwise I would folded the flop.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is raising the flop here terrible? We could fold out all sorts of draws and if anybody 3-bets we can easily fold. UTG's play could be suited-connectors that hit a four-flush...I don't really know what else he could be limping with UTG and then betting out on the flop with...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - I think raising the flop here is correct. I froze up because the less aggressive guy was betting into me with the pf 3-bettor still left to act. UTG could easily have a K but could also have QT here or a flush draw. If I don't have the best hand I have 5 cards which will give me 2-pair or trips (none of which bring the flush), 1.5 outs to a bdsd (although there's a reasonable chance I'll split) and 1.5 outs to the nut bdfd. A gutshot would get proper odds to call if they were closing the action but they will have to think about the fact that UTG could 3-bet here. Pocket pairs would be incorrect to call 2 here. Finally the pot is huge, there are a lot of players in the hand, and the player to my right bet into me.

You absolutely have to call a 3-bet here if you raise but could consider folding for 2 more (although you would probably be getting huge pot odds by that point).
Old 03-30-2006, 02:56 PM

yeah, i agree that folding to a 3-bet would be really stupid. I should've said you can get away from your hand easily on the turn if 3-bet.

However, I really think this should be aflop raise..I think raise &gt; fold &gt; call
Old 03-30-2006, 03:02 PM

My first thought when I saw this hand was to raise the flop.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:26 PM

OP,

I wrote a really long post. I deleted it all. It basically concluded that I think a flop raise is good. Just calling really accomplishes nothing and I think we can agree that flding may be weak.