Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

Late last night (Friday, September 28, 2007), Matt "hazards21" Giannetti agreed to a $15,000 prop bet to spend 12 straight hours (starting at midnight, ending at noon) in the pool here at Club Med in the Turks & Caicos. There was far more than that at stake in the side action.

Giannetti won the bet, climbing out of the pool to applause shortly after 12:00 noon today.

Now there is an even bigger prop bet in the works between Mark Seif and Sean McCabe. For $100,000, McCabe (who is a certified rescue diver) will stand shoulder-deep in the ocean for 24 straight hours, with nothing but cold water to sustain him (no food).

Last we heard, the bet would start tomorrow afternoon (Sunday), during the WPT Final Table being taped here. And we *will* be providing Sean McCabe updates in our final table coverage at WorldPokerTour.com if he attempts this endurance challenge. In fact, Mark Seif will be following his progress through our site, because he'll already be on his way to Aruba.

For more details, check out the WPT's Live Updates page:
http://www.worldpokertour.com/tournament/?x=updatesnews

------------------
Edited by BJ Nemeth: I deleted a few direct links after re-reading the rules for the NVG forum. My goal isn't to spam the forum to send traffic to my employer's site. But I also don't want to cut-and-paste the entire articles/videos here because they are technically copyrighted by the World Poker Tour. Let me know if I've crossed a line, and how I should correct it.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

Didn't Huck Seed do the ocean prop vs Hellmuth for $50K and fail terribly?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 PM

And I think he only had to be waist deep if I remember correctly...shoulder deep is retarded..Seif got his money in so good here.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I think he only had to be waist deep if I remember correctly...shoulder deep is retarded..Seif got his money in so good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

hes obv using godmode to know that mccabe cant do it
Old 09-29-2007, 06:34 PM

There is a slight difference between the water temperature where Huck made the bet (AC) and the water temp here in the Caribbean. That being said Mark is a pretty good fave.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Imagine a prop where you have to stay in a single spot, not talk to a single person, not be able to sleep and you have to be in this state for 24 hours straight...now imagine you are surrounded up to your neck by an entire ocean...
Old 09-29-2007, 06:42 PM

If my Google searches are accurate, Huckleberry Seed had to be shoulder deep in the ocean for 18 hours, and he gave up after 3 hours.

The terms of the Seif-McCabe bet are in the full article. Sean McCabe has to be shoulder deep in the ocean for 24 hours, but like coltranedog pointed out, we are in tropical waters. Other than that, I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on how that affects the health risks and dangers.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Hey I am not saying he is going to do it, i am just saying comparing it to Hucks bet is a bit of a stretch since the temperatures were way different.

I think that Sean will be lucky to last 8 hours.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:06 PM

seems like the ocean bet depends A LOT on how big the waves are. if he is constantly having to exert energy to stay at a depth that is somewhere between his head and shoulders he has no shot, but it its relatively calm and he pretty much just gets to chill in the same spot he might have a chance.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 PM

since he is a rescue diver and water temp is mid 80's in the caribbean right now this seems to be easily doable unless there is lot of tidal/wave action.

Is he doing in a bay or a beach facing the ocean?

He also will have to be allowed to wade within a certain area if there is a wide range in tide heights.

If it is choppy thu this could get very tiresome even for an excellent swimmer.