Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Default JJ faces reraise all-in out of the blinds

This hand is from the FT of a 2-table sng with $22 buy-in (top 4 paid). I pondered posting this in STT strategy, but the decision seems close.

The villain has been playing quite nitty, folding a lot of hands so far. So what is the decision here, call or fold? Is it profitable (thinking also of "tournament situation") here for me to flip against AK or AQ?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t60/t120
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t905
roggles: t4350
MP1: t2330
MP2: t1145
CO: t9470
Button: t1705
SB: t4960
BB: t2135

Pre-flop: (8 players) roggles is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">roggles raises to t420</font>, 5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises all-in t2135</font>, roggles ???
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: JJ faces reraise all-in out of the blinds

Even if his range is like QQ+, AK, AQ, you are getting the right price:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 42.600% 42.39% 00.21% 217768764 1063806.00 { JJ }
Hand 1: 57.400% 57.19% 00.21% 293794824 1063806.00 { QQ+, AQs+, AQo+ }

And yes, flipping vs two overs makes you money because you are getting ~1.5:1 odds.

I call here without liking it much.

Edit to add: About the "tournament situation" you asked: you will end up with either &gt;50 BB which is very comfortable or your stack will still be big enough to resteal, even at the next blind level...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 AM

I've seen as low as 77 here, depending on villain, I think you're vs kyer's tighter range considering your raise position here.
Your getting the price, he doesn't have us crippled, get it in.
What's with that 3.5x open? Picture yourself sitting behind this with QQ/AK, you've shown us we're beating you (88-JJ/AQ will open ~4x here) or racing live, and you're prolly not folding. I prefer opening 2.5-3x regardless of hand.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Snap call and fist pump, I'd guess you're easily &gt;60% vs his range.
And open for less.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM

I agree with ChipSpeak that opening 3x is better. But on FTP, it gives away less information, because he obviously hit the potsize button.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Well, changing that raise size is changing my fundamental game, not just about this hand. If I'm not short-stacked, I always pot bet or raise 4x (depending on which is smaller), no matter cards or position.

My games of choice do not include hold em, so I seriously have no idea why I would like to raise small here. Seems to just price in the BB to call if someone else calls. Especially 2.5x I don't understand. If I'm in the BB and someone raises that I am calling a lot of the time. ChipSpeak's reasoning that I am giving away extra information is not true; there is no hand I'd open for 3x with in EP
Old 11-10-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, changing that raise size is changing my fundamental game, not just about this hand. If I'm not short-stacked, I always pot bet or raise 4x (depending on which is smaller), no matter cards or position.

My games of choice do not include hold em, so I seriously have no idea why I would like to raise small here. Seems to just price in the BB to call if someone else calls. Especially 2.5x I don't understand. If I'm in the BB and someone raises that I am calling a lot of the time. ChipSpeak's reasoning that I am giving away extra information is not true; there is no hand I'd open for 3x with in EP

[/ QUOTE ]

If the blinds don't respect the position this raise came from, why would they care if it's 3x, 4x etc...
Raise less for pot control, deception, steals/information cost less.. Consider yourself in the bb, UTG opens for 2.5x, are you putting him on a specific weak range because of this, without reads, I give him a "scarier" range than the 4x...
many reasons to get that open down. If you're 4x'ing when antes kick in, you're spewing chips. 2.5-3x does the job nicely. Would you open 78s UTG with a 4x? 2.5x lets us open these for metagame purposes. I realize there's certain spots where we want to raise a bit more to price us in to a shove from a shorty etc.., but this position isn't one of them.

I forgot about the pot button on FT, resist the urge on PF opens...
Old 11-10-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with ChipSpeak that opening 3x is better. But on FTP, it gives away less information, because he obviously hit the potsize button.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed it's less of a tell, but this is a minor spew long term..