Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Common situation with specific hand

Common situation:

I'm in horrible to bad position in a 4 to 7 way flop with two broadway cards. The flop is paired under my hole cards, and the third card matches one of my cards. Assuming it wasn't raised pre-flop and hence the pot is "smallish", how do I proceed? What factors are most important? Obviously the rank of the pair in the flop matters a lot, but what else should I be thinking about?

Specific Hand, 6/12 live

Hero is UTG with KJ clubs. Hero limps. We end up 7 handed including both blinds (one guy was walking and somehow UTG+2 folded his hand). Flop comes:

TTK (one club but rainbow).

Blinds check, hero donks, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, BB calls. Turn is:

TTK7 (now rainbow complete)

What do I do here? 3 callers on the last round smells pretty darn fishy to me, but it seems like I have to venture a bet. These guys will play LOTS of kings (suited and otherwise) and I could easily be up against a week king, a straight draw and....like pocket 4s or something.

Is it bet/fold? bet/call? check/call? What about the flop donk? Is that standard, or should I be trying to checkraise?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Common situation with specific hand

I struggle with the live multiway pots but I'll give it a shot...

In this specific hand I think betting out at the flop is good. If you know a bet is highly likely to come from later position if you check, I think a check and probably raise (according to the action) could be good to protect what is likely the best hand. I'd usually just bet this at the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
3 callers on the last round smells pretty darn fishy to me, but it seems like I have to venture a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't smell too fishy to me. These guys obviously like to call. While it's true they might play trips like that, I don't see why we should credit them with one of the two remaining tens or better just yet. These situations are high variance, but I think this excellent turn card should be bet for value and protection. If raised I think I'm likely to release, and if I get some calls again, I'm likely to value bet the river UI.

Then again, I'm not too sure. I'm very rarely in similar situations as I don't play LL live. But that's what I reckon.

------------

[ QUOTE ]
Common situation:

I'm in horrible to bad position in a 4 to 7 way flop with two broadway cards. The flop is paired under my hole cards, and the third card matches one of my cards. Assuming it wasn't raised pre-flop and hence the pot is "smallish", how do I proceed? What factors are most important? Obviously the rank of the pair in the flop matters a lot, but what else should I be thinking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
IDK, rank of the other card on the board/your hand? The other card in your hand (your kicker)? Possible draws on board?

Obv. too general a question, but I think you will usually have the best hand (well, depending on how big the field is) and should play it aggressively until someone shows you otherwise. Usually bet or check-raise I think.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 AM

I think a flop check might be the way to go. If theres a bet with a caller or two I muck on the flop. There are just too many ways you are beat on that flop. If it's checked around to the CO and he bets I raise to thin the field and for info. As played I think I check fold because it is just too much of a longshot for all three to be drawing or have weaker pairs or kickers.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 AM

i think depends on reads. all 3 cant have T. means some are deff. loose. so i think Il bet in to unknown.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 AM

Against very loose players, I think you get called by very weak hands or draws often enough to lead the betting all the way here. And even passive players will find an opportunity to raise you at some point, so you can re evaluate. Well played, I'd say.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM

just bet the turn. you said yourself they'll call with gutters, pp's, etc. lots of worse hands. if a passive player raises, fold. an aggro/retardo player raises, usually call down.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks guys. On the specific hand in question with:

TTK7 rainbow

BB checked, Hero bet, UTG+1 called, CO raised, BB folded, Hero tanked and decided to call down, UTG+1 called.

After paying one bet on the river from CO, hero was shown T2o by the co and 77 for a boat by UTg+1 (who c/c'ed with his boat on the turn and river).

Hero felt....$24 light.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 PM

I know how you feel. I am always amazed at what hands these people will play as well as how they play them in a live game. Still, you should be very happy to be in a game such as this.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just bet the turn. you said yourself they'll call with gutters, pp's, etc. lots of worse hands. if a passive player raises, fold. an aggro/retardo player raises, usually call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much.

b
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM

Jesse,

For posterity, in low limit live games when the board is paired in a multiway pot, if you bet the turn and get raised, you should fold anything that either doesnt beat trips or doesnt have pot odds to outdraw trips.

My 2 cents.

Kit