Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Strange Goings on - Stars PL 5-Draw Tables

Has anyone noticed Ids from Kiev on every single Pot Limit 5-Draw table on Stars? oh and half of the NL tables too.

I have counted 10 separate ids, one on each table - they each play 5 or 6 and never at the same table as each other. They also play through most of the day and night.

Already contacted Stars who thought they were a known group of pro 5-draw players... but the number of ids and the way it is set up just does not seem right to me.

Anyone noticed this or have any thoughts?

Have listed the Ids on my blog but did not want to put them here - in case I am wrong!!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Strange Goings on - Stars PL 5-Draw Tables

i am of the opinion that draw would be the easiest game to construct a winning bot for.........and also the easiest game for a thinking human (who recognizes the situation) to beat said bot after sufficient observation.

i am also of the opinion that Kiev is a lovely city.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:23 PM

also holland, on pokerroom draw there is a hugely disproportionate number of Turkish players...at first i was like wtf, then i began engaging them in conversation, they mostly were happy to talk, and it dispelled my fears. humans they are! turns out that draw is just really popular there, ankara and istanbul both (probably country wide).

i feel that its more likely kiev is just a hotbed of draw, but you never know. do they all play the exact same?

either way, as long as there is not 2 of them on the same table, you should be able to beat them.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 PM

I noticed this too, they play the tournaments too. Kyiv, kev, kyev all of it! If the Ukraine is really a draw hotspot then I'm moving. I knew being a Russian major would come in handy.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Yeah, wait a second, pro draw players?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, wait a second, pro draw players?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, easiest career ever if you live in a country where cost of living(in US dollars) is significnatly lower.
Lets face it, most of former Soviet bloc in eastern Europe - lots of people - allow internet gambling, and $10/hr goes a very loooong way in these countries.

Don't laugh - Poland, Czech republic, and many states have a decent standard of living. They're not that backward, and who could blame them for playing a fairly beatable, low variance card game instead of working for a living.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 PM

Hi, guys! I'm from Kiev [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And like 5Draw very much. HarmonicaMan is right in some. 1000$ is very good money in my country(but not in my city - capital is always capital - always high price)for 90% of people [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
We have no bots - we just playing better then 90% of other 5Draw PL players.
Who are pros? This are players who get money for life( and not only for life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) from their playing. And we have some pros in 5Draw. You don't beliave? Try them and don't say then that you weren't warn [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
If NothernAmericans are realy good in on-line TH NL, what's wrong that somebody from Eastern Europe, from Ukraine is realy GOOD in 5Draw PL and NL?! Nobody secret, for example, that European Omaha Hi PL players are stronge than Americans
Old 05-12-2007, 03:37 AM

I know a guy from Kiev. His accent kills me. I'm always trying to get him to say "Moose and squirrel."

(Sorry if most of you are too young to get the reference.)
Old 05-12-2007, 07:04 AM

Noticed this, too. They don't all play the same, and not all of them seem to be winning. They also tend to adept to the play of others to a certain degree, I don't think there's any reason to assume any of them is a bot. They are avoiding each other for the same reason I tend to avoid them if possible: There are enough bad players on the low limits for everyone, so there's no need to battle it out with good players if you have an edge on the fishes.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 PM

Duffy,

Firstly. I am a slavic studies major, so if I ever need something translated, can I ask for help?
(I speak some Russian! I'm told most people in Kyev speak Russian and not Ukrainian anyway)

Also, I think that if you guys know each other and hang out that you should learn hold em' together. Firstly, as you know, Kyev is a very expensive city (especially compared to the rest of the Ukraine) and you could really do much better by learning hold em'. Yes, games are getting somewhat tougher, but you guys can play at party and fishier sites like Poker Heaven that US players cannot. At those sites, especially in the tournaments, there are so many fish that it is more profitable than draw. I play draw because it suits my needs... it's lower variance, I am good at it, and it's a little extra money. If I were to ever go pro I would be playing hold em' and omaha.

Also, out of curiosity, are there any 5 card draw games in the Ukraine? Live ones or Brick and Mortar?