Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

I want to play 50 hrs/week 12 tabling 6max, its usually about half of that. Though its progressing. Hopefully this can be the month I break the slacking habit (though most won't call 100k/hands a month slacking). Play business hours/business days, take weekend off. But if I go near 50, its prob. only 1 day off.

One thing that helps with the balance, is working during the day instead of night. For me its harder since I 12 table, but if you have the proper set ups, its not hard.

Something I think thats going help, is setting up a office in like a office building to work at. Playing at home is nice, but down the road I think it will help with a lot of balancing with your life. Its ideal if its nearby/walking distance. Ive done it before where its like 20-30 minutes away and the commute sucks. Especially if theirs traffic (really sucked in a lambo). And it didnt last long. I just got a bigger apt. and had a seperate office. But with a GF living with me past year its prob. better to seperate it completely when I go to work.

I used to play nights mostly, but prob. about 25 hours/week. And in miami, socially, if your going out to the club, its usually around midnight so it didnt hurt if I wanted to work at night usually then go out after. Sleeping schedule was a lot worse though, and was little hard to balance the things to do during the day.

I also work out 2-3x a week for about a hour. Play golf and basketball somewhat.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 PM

I used to play a lot. 140 hours a month, 16 tabling.
Now I play an average 100h/month 12-tabling (sometimes 9tabling when the action is bad).

I exercise rigourously and keep a regular sleep schedule but in unorthodox hours (sleep at 5am wakeup 1pm).

I cashout every 2 months, as much as I can to mantain 80Buyin bankroll.

I have a sick all-time hourly rate, and I never had a significant downswing (very smooth ride up) the last 4 years.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 PM

I think r3vbr mad another good point.

What`s the Br you wanna have as a pro?
I think if you play Nl2k+ it should be atleast 40k, or am i off here?

40 is the minimum.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:56 PM

I think Snoop describes the cash game lifestyle best in "Murder was the Case":

"Havin' money, and blowin' hella chronic smoke"
Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 AM

40K? more like 100, preferably more.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 AM

- How many hours of cash game play do you guys (and gals) try to log every week ?

- How has playing cash games affected your sleeping cycles ? How has it affected the social aspect of your life?
use to F with it for a little while but going to sleep at noon SUCKS. So now I go to sleep at 3am which is wayyyy better. Can also be more social. I go out at least 1x a week.

- What kind of $ / hour are some of you maintaining ? (please mention stake and # of tables played)
not making what top regs do but good enough. mostly nl400. 9-14 tables

- How do you guys pay yourself?
' i will withdraw X$ when my bankroll reaches X$ '' yep.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 AM

Hours: ~30/week.
Sleep: Irregular, but it's been that way for me since I was 12.
Exercise: I fist-pump on the regular when I drag a hudge pot.
Mobnies: I make an hourly rate that would make a Yale law graduate jealous.
Social Life: What? I'm introverted anyway, so I don't care. My girlfriend and I basically keep to ourselves. Sometimes we go see a movie or hang out with some other couple we know, but we generally just chill at home.
Payment: I've been at this for a while, and I'm getting kind of rich. I just leave about 2000 BB in the poker accounts and stick the rest in index funds, leaving me enough to handle expenses and things of that nature. I also maintain a cash BR of 1000 BB and leave it in a safe deposit box. If I ever have a huge downswing, I can liquidate money from my investments and stick it back in poker accounts. Thus far, over the span of several years, I haven't had to do that.
Why the Lifestyle is Good: Being a cash game pro means you have a wide-open schedule and you can pretty much do whatever you want, whenever you want. No boss, no rules, no coworkers, no tournament schedules, no staking arrangements, none of that. You have total personal freedom and complete responsibility for yourself. This is the main draw for me because, if there's one thing I really hate, it's jobs.