Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-29-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

Here's a very interesting post from The Hawkeye Lounge that may give some insight as to what's going on behind the scenes at Michigan right now with Lloyd and Mary Sue pushing for Ferentz and the rest of the planet pushing for Les Miles. This guy also says that Carr was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2001 and has been planning his retirement for quite some time.

http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showp...=470862;d=this
Old 11-29-2007, 02:22 PM

I've heard that Parkinson's story too; hoping it is not the case, obviously. That, btw, was the source of the Miles/Carr feud, if rumors are to be believed: that Miles had told recruits about his condition and that he wouldn't be around much longer, specifically Jai Eugene. Needless to say, Carr was not pleased. That's a bit troubling, but recruiting is a classic "laws and sausage" procedure: you really are best not hearing about the process if you care about the end result. I know we tend to have a large contingent here that seems to think that ethics, morals, and acting like a reasonable human being has no place in any remotely competitive endeavor, meaning that basically anything that isn't outright cheating is perfectly fine. I'm not arguing for the opposite extreme, that no one ever say anything negative about anyone, but there are things you probably shouldn't do, even if not illegal, and this seems perilously close to one of them in my view. It'd be worse if he either just made it up or based it on very sketchy info; at least it may be accurate.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Dvault, where did you get that 'HIT' info. on mich, and only psu and mich use this training? i think that is bs. every team in america utilizes 'HIT' training along with many other training methods. i don't squarely put the blame only on training. the athletes we get are who they are. most of our skill position players are just as fast as others, our o-line is just as strong as other, our d-line and so on and so on. you can go down the line we are very comparable to other big ten/midwest teams. now it never hurts to have a younger s&c coach who is more in tune with modern advances in training methodology.

however, i think more blame needs to be put on off. play calling. not using off. weapons properly, not being creative offensively. and defensively we dont tackle, we play a loose zone, etc...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM

edit. i do agree our guys could use improve training. we do tire faster, we have poor technique later in games, this is obv. attributed to s&c. i agree that we need a new coach in this department. i just don't think the problem is 'hit' training and that is the reason.

poor tackling is usually do to lazyness and bad technique. but the more i think about it, strenght is very important, maybe our defenders are not strong as they could be.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dvault, where did you get that 'HIT' info. on mich, and only psu and mich use this training? i think that is bs. every team in america utilizes 'HIT' training along with many other training methods.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://hem.passagen.se/ridddler/hitfaq20.htm

"HIT is used by a number of universities and professional teams - it certainly doesn't represent the majority of the programs but it's used widely enough to be considered a productive form of training.

At the collegiate level, HIT programs are used at:

* The University of Kentucky (except football)
* Michigan
* The University of South Carolina
* Penn State
* Villanova
* The University of Toledo
* The U.S. Military Academy
* Providence College
* Western Kentucky
* The University of Cincinnati"

So there are a couple of other I-A teams using HIT, apparently (South Carolina, Toledo, Cincinnati, Western Kentucky) -- but it's definitely not widely used in football training.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM

MGoBlog has some information posted from an LSU forum. Four different posters there say they were told by players that Miles has told the team he is leaving for Michigan. Local news stations are reporting the same. If this is all true, hopefully Miles will be in Ann Arbor within the week.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM

saw this headline on espn.com, and got a chuckle...

'Michigan looking for a new Carr with Les Miles...'

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 PM

dvault,
those are just some of the programs that the author knows are using HIT training. every athlete in the world is using some form of HIT training whether they know it or not. there are so many forms of HIT training that its almost a useless term. sorry for harping on this, but you seem to think HIT is an exact blueprint.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Herbstreit just announced on ESPN that Michigan will name Miles as the new head coach this week and that he will be bringing along Jon Tenuta from Georgia Tech as his defensive coordinator.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Tenuta is a fantastic surprise, although I have no complaints with English. Plz Plz Plz get rid of DeBord...