Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Will/Could PartyPoker ever return to the US?

I haven't seen a full thread devoted to this recently, but if it has been exhausted, please point me to the thread and delete this one.

It now seems fairly reasonable to assume that none of the major poker sites catering to US players are feeling much heat from the Gov (at least as far as I know).

It also seems pretty unlikely that any real action is being taken based on the UIGEA...or will be taken in the near future.

This brings up the question - What is keeping Party Poker from returning to the US right now? Have they been singled out in some way that PokerStars, UB, Absolute, Bodog, etc. have not? Would they ever be able to just say "Well, this law is obviously going no where. Come on back, yanks!"

If they were technically able to begin accepting US players again, would there be any significant reason why they would NOT want to return?

My thought process leads me to believe that if they COULD return, they WOULD. Why would they pass up millions of dollars in rake? But when comparing them to stars/UB/AP/etc, I cant really see any reason why they could not.

Ideas?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Will/Could PartyPoker ever return to the US?

My personal feeling is that they're waiting for the inevitable US regulation, and then either jump in with both feet (with some special favors from the US), or be a prime candidate for a buyout. Of course, the longer this goes, the closer I would imagine that MGM, Harrahs, etc have their own programs ready to go when the starting bell sounds. I think they would only enter back into the market if the US started REALLY dragging it's feet and they were in financial trouble. From the outset they've had a long-term strategy, and I don't see that changing.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Well something has to change first. So the question is a non-starter until something happens. As is Party is publicly traded, with publicly listed execs who do not want an arrest warrant issued for them. Either Party goes private with a legal strat in place, or something happens. So just watch the news then think if what happens means will Party come back.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 PM

Default PartyPoker could EASILY return to the US, but not with those managers

Basically, all Party would need to do would be file an action for Declaratory Judgement that no Federal law applies to make online poker illegal. Await the outcome, and, if successful, then they are back in the US, just like before .......

HOWEVER, they will never do even try that because if successful, it would mean their Directors and Management really screwed up last October and unnecessarily cost Shareholders billions of dollars of value.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM

It's a moot point, really. Even if Party were to re-enter the US market, the fish pool that once was there would not simply reappear, for reasons that have already been discussed in these forums.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM

" ..... for reasons that have already been discussed in these forums."

Which makes them correctly reasoned , jeez a bit arrogant, eh ?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker could EASILY return to the US, but not with those managers

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, all Party would need to do would be file an action for Declaratory Judgement that no Federal law applies to make online poker illegal. Await the outcome, and, if successful, then they are back in the US, just like before .......

HOWEVER, they will never do even try that because if successful, it would mean their Directors and Management really screwed up last October and unnecessarily cost Shareholders billions of dollars of value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Milton. I have never agreed with the argument that because Party Gaming was publically traded, then it had to leave the US market. What about .888 before the UIGEA and BetOnSports and other publically traded online sports betting companies? They were violating the Wire Act as interpreted by the courts in Jay Cohen case long before the UIGEA.
Party Poker and .888 could just announce that they are accepting US customers only for their poker sites. They don't need to file an Action for Declaratory Judgment. But when nothing happened, they would look awfully foolish for abandoning the US market in the first place.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker could EASILY return to the US, but not with those managers

I wouldn't expect anything until the UIGEA regs are published. Once that happens, their lawyers will probably reevaluate the situation. If that leads to them coming back (poker-only) or not is anyone's guess, but they must have noticed that plenty of poker-only sites are offering services to Americans with impunity.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker could EASILY return to the US, but not with those manag

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't expect anything until the UIGEA regs are published. Once that happens, their lawyers will probably reevaluate the situation. If that leads to them coming back (poker-only) or not is anyone's guess, but they must have noticed that plenty of poker-only sites are offering services to Americans with impunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may also be waiting on a change in Administration. The DoJ can [censored] with you with near impunity and they may just fear the little nasty letters they send out.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker could EASILY return to the US, but not with those manag

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But ANY site can file for such a decl. judgment and yet it hasn't happened yet.