Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 12:58 PM

Default EPT Deauville Final Table

Would like to get some more reactions on the most discussed hand on the final table at the EPT in Deauville recently.

Seat 1 Theo Jorgensen ~800k
Seat 2 iremmats ~390k
Seat 3 Ram Vaswani ~1M
(SB) Seat 4 Mark Boudewijn ~1M
(BB) Seat 5 Kirill Gerasimov 249k

The first player went out after 2 hands. Then it took almost 5 hours until the next guy (girl) went out. People has been very afraid of calling. I have been the loosest player at the table. Early on I showed 93s at the showdown after a raise from the button.

Blinds are 20/40k.

Theo folds.

[Ac 9c]
I want to avoid playing a flop with such a low M so I ask Kirill how much he has left and bets exactly what he has, 249k.

Ram folds.
Mark calls. Most likely a mistake when he counted my chips. He must have been thinking I had 249k and called my all in.
Kirill folds.

After realizing his mistake Mark says hes all in on the flop.

Flop Q72 with two diamonds.

I fold. Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: EPT Deauville Final Table

holy crap nice comeback after this.

i think it's gotta be a call though, you'll be left w/ 140k, or <4BB's, and the antes in EPT events are decent big, and if you call you can win a pot of more than 600k. the Q could possibly be a help to you if he has something like AJ, you're getting closer to a split.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:14 PM

After playing at the table 6 hours I put Mark on these hands:

AA-88,AK-AT,KQ.

Compare me calling against that handrange against going all in blind next hand and then one more time within 3-4 hands, which is best? It was kind of easy to steal blinds.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM

I think you have to call.

With the Antes you're getting over 5:1, and need just under 4 outs to make it CEV neutral. (I haven't done the ICM calc, but it's sure to be $$EV+++ to call).

I think his range is wide enough here to include hands other than a Q to justify the call.

If you fold your M=1.4 and you will be getting your chips in EV- in the next hand or 2.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:19 PM

I thought this was a call too, but after looking at the pot odds for a few hands (and I was assuming a much wider range than you provided), I think it was actually a good fold.

Sucks that you have to double up to get back to where you were, but if stealing was that easy even on a short-stack, then I can find a fold here.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to call.

With the Antes you're getting over 5:1, and need just under 4 outs to make it CEV neutral. (I haven't done the ICM calc, but it's sure to be $$EV+++ to call).

I think his range is wide enough here to include hands other than a Q to justify the call.

If you fold your M=1.4 and you will be getting your chips in EV- in the next hand or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds do not matter in this situation nearly as much as usual. Odds matter in the long term, and if you're thinking of the longterm at final tables worth life-changing money, then please help me with my game.

Folding here is fine IMO, since you basically told the BB you had a big enough hand to put him all-in with and the SB told you he has you beat. Not only that, but the one hand where you would have him beat just hit the flop (KQ). I honestly don't like the raise. You're second to act here and you're raising to 6x the bb preflop. This is a shove preflop or a standard raise to 100k.

On the flop, I don't mind a fold if you're good at playing the short stack. Well done, sir.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Odds matter in the long term, and if you're thinking of the longterm at final tables worth life-changing money, then please help me with my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Odds are odds.

Just becase it's big money doesnt make it anyn better to play poorly.

(i'm not saying a fold is bad, but the way you know it's bad is by calculating it out)
Old 02-16-2006, 01:30 PM

Just to be clear, what were the antes?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:42 PM

I don't like the large pre-flop raise. I'd make a standard, possibly even smallish raise (100K sounds good), preparing to call a push from the BB and probably folding if anyone comes over the top, since you make it sound like there hasn't been much re-stealing going on. BB has to expect that you'll call his push, so his pushing range shouldn't be much wider than his calling range, and with the possible exception of AT, hands he pushes but doesn't call a push with are probably hands you're ahead of. I wouldn't expect a flat call, but if BB does just call, I would push any flop checked to me, and make a decision based on his range if he pushes the flop.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Antes were 5k I think.

If I were to play the hand again I would have made it 110k preflop and folded to reraises from Button or SB.