Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Seeking advice in learning Hold\'em

You may want to consider Poker Stars, for your first real money account. Nano limit games are fairly soft and a great place to learn.

As others have said: Please come off the play money tables now. You're probably doing yourself (poker education) more harm than good.

Ian
Old 12-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks Ian

Does anyone know the difference between the play$ games and the .01/.02 games at Poker Stars? I know it has to be a step up considering it is real $. It seems that the games may be just as crazy with very little regard to the small $ blinds. Maybe the .05/.10 Full Tilt is a better idea.
Any thoughts?

Again thanks to members who have contributed to my thread. It is appreciated.

Kevin
Old 12-29-2006, 01:40 AM

Play, play, play. And not at play money either. Just reading or reviewing hands won't do you as much good as playing a lot and keeping track of your results with PT.

The books will start to make sense after you have played a lot. I find things in all my books that I didn't notice or didn't think was important before I got additional playing experience.

Online is a great way to gain a lot of experience in a short time. Use it.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:53 AM

Any real money games will be far better than the play mmoney tables. 0.05/0.10 on Stars was pretty good. I am currently on 0.10/0.20 on Stars are you'd be suprised how good they are.

I would also suggest:
-Purchasing Poker Tracker
-Copying & pasting / printing-off the "classic threads" found in the Beginners FAQ's (see Beginners Forum, sticky threads)- LOADS of invaluable info in there.

The main thing you are going to need in your poker journey (above ANYTHING else) is sheer determination & perserverance- you're are going to want to feel like giving up MANY, MANY times along the way. The question is Will you?

Ian

Ian