Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: The Photography Thread

Freakin:

Thanks...I actually got it printed at shutterfly for like $20 or so. It came out really nice, and I'm ordering a frame right now.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really liked the idea of having a biweekly/monthly "Photo Mission" thread, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Is anyone else interested in participating? Kind of not worth it if we've only got a couple people, so I'm hoping there will be lots!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in. Is it going to be like a take a certain number of pictures on a given day? or try to capture a specific type of subject? what's the plan? I need some motivation to get out and shoot more, especially in the overcast seattle winter...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we decide on a subject, then everyone that participates can post what they take, and maybe we'll even decide who takes the best shot. I'll be happy to help "run" the threads, like CSC does for OOT Iron Chef, as long as I'm not entirely responsible for coming up with creative subject ideas!

Hopefully, we'll hear from a few more people who want to get in, then get started.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM

ReDeYES: This looks a lot like Greece, I visited the Aegean area a few years back and this brings those memories back.

Totally off?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really liked the idea of having a biweekly/monthly "Photo Mission" thread, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Is anyone else interested in participating? Kind of not worth it if we've only got a couple people, so I'm hoping there will be lots!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm totally in.

A recent (unfortunately) cameraphone shot of the MOMA:

Probably my favorite photo of mine. This is my girlfriend walking towards me in teardrop park in downtown manhattan, holding a firefly. She is a cutie.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 PM

if somebody makes a challenge thread, maybe there should be separate threads for pictures and discussion.

Discussion thread could be limited it talk, links and thumbnails. The picture thread could contain pictures of any size with a reminder of the javascript someone posted a while back to resize to the width of your choice.

script:
[ QUOTE ]
javascript:maxwidth=640;pi=document.getElementsByT agName("img");for(var%20i=0;i<=pi.length;i++){v ar%20aspectratio=(pi.item(i).height/pi.item(i).width);if(pi.item(i).width>maxwidth) {pi.item(i).width=maxwidth;pi.item(i).height=aspec tratio*maxwidth;}}

[/ QUOTE ]
(create a bookmark with this as the location. modify 'maxwidth' value)

Either monthly, or just two huge running threads would be best imo.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if somebody makes a challenge thread, maybe there should be separate threads for pictures and discussion.

Discussion thread could be limited it talk, links and thumbnails. The picture thread could contain pictures of any size with a reminder of the javascript someone posted a while back to resize to the width of your choice.

script:
[ QUOTE ]
javascript:maxwidth=640;pi=document.getElementsByT agName("img");for(var%20i=0;i<=pi.length;i++){v ar%20aspectratio=(pi.item(i).height/pi.item(i).width);if(pi.item(i).width>maxwidth) {pi.item(i).width=maxwidth;pi.item(i).height=aspec tratio*maxwidth;}}

[/ QUOTE ]
(create a bookmark with this as the location. modify 'maxwidth' value)

Either monthly, or just two huge running threads would be best imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one thread could contain both the contest/challenge idea plus the discussion. It will have the subject/topic requirement and the due date for submissions. It should be locked until the contest due date has come about. All submissions should be kept to another separate thread of just photos (limited to maybe 3 submissions per person).

Discussion should commence in the initial challenge thread which will be unlocked once the contest is closed and should only contain links or thumbnails to discussed submissions.

I think having winners would be a great idea, but we would need several non-partial judges for it to work. FWIW, I don't think having winners is necessary; this would just server as great motivation and purpose to get out and shoot lots of photos.

Also, I think that all submissions should be recently shot photos, not any past work.

I'm looking forward to this if it gets going
Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ReDeYES: This looks a lot like Greece, I visited the Aegean area a few years back and this brings those memories back.

Totally off?

[/ QUOTE ]

well...not TOTALLY off....i think you have the right continent... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

the two of the village and the one of the cemetery were taken in Cinque Terre...northern italian coast.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think one thread could contain both the contest/challenge idea plus the discussion. It will have the subject/topic requirement and the due date for submissions. It should be locked until the contest due date has come about. All submissions should be kept to another separate thread of just photos (limited to maybe 3 submissions per person).

Discussion should commence in the initial challenge thread which will be unlocked once the contest is closed and should only contain links or thumbnails to discussed submissions.

I think having winners would be a great idea, but we would need several non-partial judges for it to work. FWIW, I don't think having winners is necessary; this would just server as great motivation and purpose to get out and shoot lots of photos.

Also, I think that all submissions should be recently shot photos, not any past work.

I'm looking forward to this if it gets going

[/ QUOTE ]

i might be able to get into this, (within the limitations of my equipment). I agree that there doesn't really need to be a judging.....just post what ya shot.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Totally off?

[/ QUOTE ]

well...not TOTALLY off....i think you have the right continent... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

the two of the village and the one of the cemetery were taken in Cinque Terre...northern italian coast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I was close!

One peninsula away.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:51 PM

I'm not too brilliant at photography, though it's one of the things i'd like to be really good at. The other day i took this as it was eating a crumb on my desk.

My dad used to be a proffesional photographer and i always keep meaning to get him to teach me. If i can work out a good way of doing it, i'll try put some of his photos up here so i have something nice to contribute.

I also think the idea of a monthly photo contest thing is awesome, i'd be down.

One more thing: I'm a big fan of press photography as its often the most powerful. If anyone's interested, the World Press Photo site contains the best from around the world. Check out the various winners galleries.