Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Write a Brief Dissenting Opinion About a Popular Title Thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was a crappy way to word it. Rather, people wouldn't still have been talking about it like 5 years after it was released. The deathmatch it came with wasn't that great, HL's lifetime beyond single player was due solely to mods.

I didn't even think the single player was GotY worthy unless that happened to be a down year for video games but I'm obv in the minority on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are. Obviously looking at the story and gameplay today it doesn't seem worthy, but at the time it was a huge step forward in fps gameplay. I remember finishing the single player right after it came out and being totally blown away.

All depends on when you played it imo.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 PM

I got to the end of FFXII without leveling at all. Just before the final boss I looked on gamefaqs to see what he'd be like in terms of attacks and recommended level and such. I saw that I'd have to spend several hours leveling to stand a chance, turned it off and haven't looked back.

I feel like I wasted dozens of hours to get to the end of a game and not be able to polish her off, but being forced to level is so [censored] ghey.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got to the end of FFXII without leveling at all. Just before the final boss I looked on gamefaqs to see what he'd be like in terms of attacks and recommended level and such. I saw that I'd have to spend several hours leveling to stand a chance, turned it off and haven't looked back.

I feel like I wasted dozens of hours to get to the end of a game and not be able to polish her off, but being forced to level is so [censored] ghey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played XII, but I have this problem with a lot of RPG's released after the NES. Leveling was a huge part of FF1 and the Dragon Warrior games and that's fine. The problem with so many more "modern", story-heavy RPG's is that as you said, you can breeze through the entire game without leveling UNTIL you get to the final boss, who is absolutely impossible.

Just make a proper learning curve and not a huge spike at the end you idiots. If you have to spend an average of half an hour leveling for each major dungeon/boss fight that's fine - just keep it consistent.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Half Life's AI was so far beyond what was out there at the time that it would be remembered just for advancing that.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Half Life's AI was so far beyond what was out there at the time that it would be remembered just for advancing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, anyone picking up Half-Life 1 for the first time isn't going to see it as the stellar game that it is because it looks like so many other games now, just with worse graphics. What these people don't realize is that Half-Life revolutionized a ton of gameplay and story elements that we take purely for granted now.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah, context definitely matters.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 PM

Rock Band looks really gay.