Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When you are driving, and a cop pulls in behind you, do you feel:
Served and protected, or 2 13.33%
apprehensive? 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Official November Thread: General Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
why would you ever say amounts heh

[/ QUOTE ]

because when friends ask you, it's easier just to say amounts. when you don't, it just leads to more questions and stuff. just giving a general $ number is the easiest. and as long as you're not bragging, it doesn't come off bad.

the major concept people tend to not understand is variance and swings though or short-term/long-term
Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then i remember that they're normal and we play poker and don't have much respect for money

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of our decisions are very different, possibly because we understand the value of our time A LOT BETTER than "normal people".

best example is people who will make a seperate trip to a store, just to save like $10(or less). this trip costs them an hour of free time. none of us would ever make that seperate trip, yet regular people do it all the time.

in the past I have really tried to cover up what I do, and now while I don't brag about it, or bring it up, I am not going to deny it and lie. I'm sick of feeling ashamed for "bragging"(really just being honest). If people take it the wrong way then [censored] them. I've gone though a lot of stress, and spent a ton of hours to get good enough to make a lot of money @ poker.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 PM

Never had a problem with talking to people about poker. Most people I meet think it's awesome.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because when friends ask you, it's easier just to say amounts. when you don't, it just leads to more questions and stuff. just giving a general $ number is the easiest. and as long as you're not bragging, it doesn't come off bad.

the major concept people tend to not understand is variance and swings though or short-term/long-term

[/ QUOTE ]

friends don't ask, and acquaintances who do are always told 'ya, not bad'
Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of time i did it without thinking about it. They asked how i was doing and i just replied with "good/bad winning/loosing x". It was just a statement of my how i had been going. But i agree its dumb.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never had a problem with talking to people about poker. Most people I meet think it's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true sometimes, but it totally depends on the person and how you describe it/explain it.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM

i tried not to tell my new work colleagues about poker mainly becuase i thought it would help me 'kick the habit' in terms of working more.

a few days ago i was saying to someone that i was planning to quit, so he then asked what would i do, i said i would go play cards for a living as i'd done it for the past few years while a uni. the obvious 'how much' was asked, and i think so long as you reply something like 'ive managed to save up about a hundred K' then i think it doesnt sound too douchey. if i just started saying 'man, i should be playing online instead, i can make so much, i made $50k last month' then it comes across as douchey, but so long as you make it seem like it's nothing special, i think its fine.

plus hopefully any work colleague hotties who were unsure whether to give me bjs will go for it now.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

friends don't ask, and acquaintances who do are always told 'ya, not bad'

[/ QUOTE ]

My friends used to ask periodically in a very concerned manner how i was going. Luckily that ended when I won 50k in a live donkament which i never told them about. Eventually one of them found it on the net and now they figure i must doing ok, if i dont mention winning 50k. But they understand i dont really want to talk about it and its not a big deal.

But acquaintances if they ask always get the "yeah ok" line.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:43 PM

i love the type of running bad that makes everybody flop sets on you. even in 4bet pots fkkk.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM

7500 hands, +$25k. november [censored] rocks
Closed Thread