Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: why am i so bad?

[ QUOTE ]
thank you for some of the input.

i think ione of my biggest problems is my ego gets involved. i think "anyone can play tight. but a good player would be able to play some less than premium hands by using position and betting the proper amount". usually this ends with me going bust after my opponents call in situations that are technically incorrect. i think i may be relying too much on the strict mathmatics. i would almost never call with only a draw unless the pot was offering me correct odds. yet time after time, my top pair is getting drawn out against even when i make it incorrect to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that include paying off if their draw hits? If it does, then you're making money and good decisions. If you're making the *pot* odds incorrect to call, but the *implied* odds are there then your opponents aren't making a mistake. I'm only saying this because I picked up on you saying the 'put was offering me corect odds'...if that was just a slip of the mind, fine, but if not...that could be one of your problems.

That is, on the turn betting 1/2 the pot, thinking you're pricing out a straight or flush draw, but then on the river you'll call a pot sized bet, your opponent is actually calling 1 to win 8, which makes your opponent's play correct. Now, you can't run away from any hand you don't have the nuts, but if you bet a bit bigger, or don't automatically pay off if the draw hits, you can make it wrong for your opponent to play that way.

Shane