Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 09:48 PM

Default 2 Hands at Greektown (Detroit) longish

I apologize now if I should have posted in SSNL, but Online advice doesn't always seem relevant to B&M play. Please move the post if it belongs somewhere else.

Ok, I'm at the main 1-2$ NL table at Greektown last night. As usual, two things are happening preflop, either 8 people limp and see a flop, or we get a raise to 10-25$ and 4-7 people call. Stacks range from 150-1500, avg about 400

Reads:

Villain 1: Playing a fairly solid game, but hasn't gotten anything worth playing in over an hour and just got pushed off a decent preflop hand by a moron. Not steaming, but possibly overaggressive to avoid suckouts. Stack ($1500)

Villain 2: Calling lots of raises preflop. Calling down open-enders and flush draws without proper odds (implied and pot) Loose-passive, but will fold a hand occasionally. Stack (600ish)

Villain 3: Don't have much of a read. So far I know he's loose pre-flop and has shown down a couple decent hands and a couple odd ones. Stack (450ish)

Hero: Playing fairly LAG(but with proper odds, not that most of them noticed). Only showed down about 30% of winning hands, and only one of those was a particularly strong pre-flop holding. Stack (700ish)

Ok, first hand:

Villian 1 UTG , Raises to $10. 5 Callers. Hero has 99 in the BB and calls.

Pot ($70)
Flop comes 8 9 J rainbow,

Hero checks, Villain 1 opens for $85, fold, Villain 2 calls, fold, fold, fold.
Hero makes it $200 straight. Villain 1 swears and folds, Villain 2 contemplates for a bit and calls.

Pot ($555)
Turn comes 10h

Hero contemplates for 5-10 seconds and bets $150, Villain 2 ponders and calls.

Pot ($850)
River comes 8, (uncertain if it was a heart)

Hero pushes all in, Villain calls with reluctance.

Hero wins with 9's full, Villain mucks.

Next hand, perhaps 30 minutes after the full house. I've shown down one other good hand since for a smaller pot. (I have a pretty good feel for the table at this point)

UTG limp, Villain 3 limp, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero has 10h Jh. Raise to $15. Folds around to Villain 3 who smooth calls.

Pot ($35)
Flop comes J22, 1 heart.

Villain bets $30, Hero raises to $90, Villain calls.

Pot ($215)
Turn comes a middle heart (7-8) can't remember which.

Villain checks, Hero bets $60, Villain raises to $160. Hero calls.

Pot ($535)
River blanks off

Villain bets $100. Hero makes crying call.

(Not that it matters for the analysis, but Villain shows down 26 off)

Before I go into any of the reasoning on my part, what do you think of the my plays.

Good, Marginal, or "Please come play at my table you silly silly fish"
Old 08-05-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Re: 2 Hands at Greektown (Detroit) longish

-J
Old 08-06-2006, 01:34 PM

This should be moved to SSNL.

I don't like either hand.

Hand 1-Lead out at flop, hope Villain 1 makes a raise and is going to blowout the rest of the field. Your check-raise with PFR on your left is just asking for somebody with a T to get stuck in the middle.

Hand 2-I don't like the play on any street. Control the pot size, why do you want to play a big pot here? The PFR is unneccessary. I don't understand raising the flop that much. He's either folding or he has you beat, if he's folding he'll fold for $70 as often as $90 so save the money when you're beat.

Why did you bet the turn. When he calls your flop raise, you should be finished with the hand. The turn card is perfect to check behind and try to suckout.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:54 AM

Hand 1> I knew that villain 1's range in this situation was going to be AQ, AK and QQ+. With that flop I knew he would make a significant bet, but wouldn't be likely to call one. So If I open with a bet, villain 1 folds and villain two maybe folds or maybe calls a $40 - $60 bet. I was pretty sure that villain 2's range was wide open (ie: 45o +) and would call with any draw, including inside straights. I didn't want him out, I just wanted him calling incorrectly.

When the turn brought a 10, I was obviously not very happy. The $150 was the smallest reasonable bet I could make to try and find out where I was. A reraise push on his part and I was done. But I certainly wasn't going to check a set that had a small chance to be good, with 9 outs to scoop and 3 to split.

Hand 2> The reason for the large raise on the flop is that reasonable raises didn't exist at this table. When 7 people call $20 preflop, it deadens the senses to what seems like a solid raise. I was attempting to make a clear statement by tripling his bet.

I was putting him on a pair 3'-10's, or two broadway cards or Jx, I think now that if that had been true, he probably wouldn't have folded to much except a push on the flop and my raise was probably a waste of time.

The turn bet was supposed to be a value bet/semi-bluff depending on where I was. Again, in retrospect, if I assume I had 0% FE, I agree it was a bad move. And the reraise certainly said he somehow had a 2. But at that point I was getting 1-3.85 on the pot with 1-5.5 implied.