Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:17 AM

Default help with a few selected hands

All hands are 8/16 at The Bike this afernoon. Table composition is 4-6 ATC players at any given time, mostly passive. My play is TAG preflop and ABC postflop unless someone picks up on it and then I change it up against them. Plenty of calling down with hopeless draws.

Hand 1: This hand is right after the table is started. Maybe 3 or 4 hands in. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from mp and raise, 5 players in, no other raises. The flop is QJT with 2 diamonds checked to me and I bet, all call. Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and it is capped 5 way. River is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], checked around including me, lp bets, one caller before me. Pot is somewhere around 25 big bets, $400 or so. I fold/call/raise?

Hand 2: I have AA and raise PF from lp, 4 callers. Flop is Q89 with 2 hearts. Checked to me, I lead out and button raises, 2 callers plus me. Turn brings the flush card, checked around and the button bets, I fold/call/checkraise?

Hand 3: Been sitting there a while now. I have A9 from the BB and get to play without a raise, flop is 99A. I check the flop and call a bet. Turn is a blank. I check, lp bets I call/raise? Still one player to act behind me.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: help with a few selected hands

Hand 1 - folding is a huge mistake. C/c is fine here.

Hand 2 - Unless you think button will raise a strong flush draw or he only raises the nuts I like a c/r here. Reads would make this decision for me.

Hand 3 - You just flopped a power house, why are you not betting like it's going out of style? I'd prefer leading out on all streets here and hope for a chance to 3-bet, as played raise the damn turn every time! Getting any street checked through is a near disaster.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:45 AM

Agree with invictus on all, esp the 3rd hand. Your descsription of them calling down with hopeless draws lead me to believe that you should have just bet this hand all the way. No need to SPlay here
Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 AM

Anything but checkcalling in hand 1 is gross.

I'd bet the crap out of hand 3 and hope someone else had an Ace or a nine.

Hand 2 I think is miswritten.

You are in late position(let's just assume CO) with AA.

Button has coldcalled and so have 3 other people.

Everyone checks to you, you bet, button now raises, two people coldcall and you call.

Calling here is bad, I'd 3bet this 150% of the time in these games.

Anyways, you just call. Turn brings the third heart, you check to the button, button bets, and you want us to tell you what to do, but you haven't said what the other two people have done yet, which changes things quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyways, you just call. Turn brings the third heart, you check to the button, button bets, and you want us to tell you what to do, but you haven't said what the other two people have done yet, which changes things quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, they all called.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Hands 1 and 3 have been commented on, and I don't see any debate at all possible with them.

Hand 2 is interesting. Assuming you don't have the A of hearts, I'd call here. Its close since you're up against 3 players but I'd still do it. If river is a heart I'm folding to any bet, and otherwise I don't know. I'd probably call another bet from the button, but I don't think its a good move. You're in a [censored] spot here.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All hands are 8/16 at The Bike this afernoon. Table composition is 4-6 ATC players at any given time, mostly passive. My play is TAG preflop and ABC postflop unless someone picks up on it and then I change it up against them. Plenty of calling down with hopeless draws.

Hand 1: This hand is right after the table is started. Maybe 3 or 4 hands in. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from mp and raise, 5 players in, no other raises. The flop is QJT with 2 diamonds checked to me and I bet, all call. Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and it is capped 5 way. River is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], checked around including me, lp bets, one caller before me. Pot is somewhere around 25 big bets, $400 or so. I fold/call/raise?

Hand 2: I have AA and raise PF from lp, 4 callers. Flop is Q89 with 2 hearts. Checked to me, I lead out and button raises, 2 callers plus me. Turn brings the flush card, checked around and the button bets, I fold/call/checkraise?

Hand 3: Been sitting there a while now. I have A9 from the BB and get to play without a raise, flop is 99A. I check the flop and call a bet. Turn is a blank. I check, lp bets I call/raise? Still one player to act behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

hand 1) C/C flop and it's not close. given that it was checked to you, however, betting is fine. as played absolutely call river.

2) hand 2 is pretty bad, if the button checks fearing a flush its a complete and utter disaster. please 3B the flop and lead the turn. you can B/F the turn against passive opponents if you dont have the ace of hearts.

3) just bet the flop. also if your A9 was suited you should raise preflop against poor opponents, even OOP, as your equity is high.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the comments. Here is how it played out.

Hand 1: As expected one other player had a K and the one who I thought, who everyone at the table thought had the flush did have it. AQ of diamonds. This player left right after that for a 6/12 O8 game that was starting up so I never got a chance to see those chips again. Kind of depressing. I am sure he couldn't hold on to them.

Hand 2: I must say I was startled by his raise. He had been a passive player up until then. This really fooled me and I tossed the AA after his turn bet. Looking back I agree with your advice and should have 3bet the flop and lead out on the turn. He had KQo and won the hand with a pair of Queens. Shame on me.

Hand 3: I would normally drive with this hand but with only 2 players in besides me I wanted someone to catch up. Since I was in the bb and I was playing mostly passive from this point and folding a ton of hands I decided to induce someone else to bet and it worked. I check/raised the turn and he knew he was beat but couldn't fold. He had Q9 and hit a Q on the river. I bet and he called. It was my best play of the session. I almost got a standing-O from the table.

In the end there were 4-6 ATC players all the time and I couldn't make many good hands stand up for the session but I feel that with a few exceptions I played it well. About an hour before I left my favorite calling station showed up and the table and I was able to suck one good pot out of her.

Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with invictus on all, esp the 3rd hand. Your descsription of them calling down with hopeless draws lead me to believe that you should have just bet this hand all the way. No need to SPlay here

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1) C/C flop and it's not close. given that it was checked to you, however, betting is fine. as played absolutely call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, c/c flop and it's not close? I would bet/raise this flop and I don't think it's close. We likely have the best hand, probably have at least 8 outs if we don't, and have the backdoor flush draw to boot. I know the board is coordinated, but good lord. Why c/c the flop? Are you planning on popping the turn? You can't, the bettor would be behind you. I just don't get this at all...