Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: torre \"officially\" managing for his job (again)?

I don't understand why Arod would ever opt out. The Yanks will offer him whatever money / years he wants in an extension. Arod wants to stay in NY b.c. he still has tons to prove, and the only way he even thinks about leaving is if the yanks refuse the extension. Since there is Texas money on the table, the financial disconnect would have to be superwide, which it will never be if Steinbrenner still wants him.

Boras is simply waiting till the last moment like he did with Matsuzaka to gain leverage (and will probably succeed), but all its gonna do is add more $$ to the extension and Boras' fee.

After Texas experience, I dont think Arod even cares about extra $$ anymore, but if Boras can add risk-free leverage, why not let him try. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks saw through this and made him sign only a modest extension, just like Matsuzaka.

Steinbrenner's statement sends an "owners message" to Boras / Arod that the Yanks are still very interested, so that Arod doesn't accidentally push the opt out switch due to lack of communication.

If Yanks win WS, THEN Arod might leave b.c. market val will be absolutely ginormous, his NY legacy cemented, and Yanks could refuse to match some ridic 8 yr, 350mil offer simply b.c. its so insane.

If there are still any reasonable bet offers, I'm very interested...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as a yankees fan this makes me really happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of younger Yankee fans don't remember the way Steinbrenner can create chaos in the dugout. A new manager isn't going to have the respect Torre has gotten in the past twelve years. If the Yankees aren't in first, a new manager could be hounded on all sides.

Perhaps Steinbrenner is past his days of creating true havoc. But, the good old days of Yankee managers getting fired in mid-season (even after winning the World Series the pervious sesaon) would be fun to see again.

As a reminder, Steinbrenner fired managers mid-season in 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, and 1990. The majority of the fired managers had winning records at the time. Bob Lemon was fired in 1982 after just 14 games (6-8). Yogi Berra was fired in 1985 after just 16 games (6-10).

Perhaps without a Billy Martin, routine firings won't be so prevalent.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:59 PM

You lost me at:
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think Arod even cares about extra $$ anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all nearly every pro athlete cares about at the end of the day. "They treated me right", "it was a great fit for my family/career/pet turtle", "they're an organization that's comitted to winning", et al is athlete code for "they showed me the money."

A-Rod is guaranteed to opt out. He'll get far, far more with a long-term contract now than he would playing out his present deal and getting an extension/new deal at it's conclusion. Why play for $25M a year when you can get $30M+? That's just silly.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:00 PM

yawn
Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as a yankees fan this makes me really happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of younger Yankee fans don't remember the way Steinbrenner can create chaos in the dugout. A new manager isn't going to have the respect Torre has gotten in the past twelve years. If the Yankees aren't in first, a new manager could be hounded on all sides.

Perhaps Steinbrenner is past his days of creating true havoc. But, the good old days of Yankee managers getting fired in mid-season (even after winning the World Series the pervious sesaon) would be fun to see again.

As a reminder, Steinbrenner fired managers mid-season in 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, and 1990. The majority of the fired managers had winning records at the time. Bob Lemon was fired in 1982 after just 14 games (6-8). Yogi Berra was fired in 1985 after just 16 games (6-10).

Perhaps without a Billy Martin, routine firings won't be so prevalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not the same Steiny. plus it may just be smart cover seeing that Cash and the rest of the people in front office want a change
Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You lost me at:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all nearly every pro athlete cares about at the end of the day. "They treated me right", "it was a great fit for my family/career/pet turtle", "they're an organization that's comitted to winning", et al is athlete code for "they showed me the money."

A-Rod is guaranteed to opt out. He'll get far, far more with a long-term contract now than he would playing out his present deal and getting an extension/new deal at it's conclusion. Why play for $25M a year when you can get $30M+? That's just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lost, thats for sure. Opting out is about locking down a big contract over his decline years, rather than risk going back on the market at age 34, when he might be hurt or playing worse.

And while generally athletes take the most money, A-Rod has already offered give up $30m if TX would have traded him to Boston. He hated being stuck on a loser and wont make that mistake.

A-rod is the only baseball player to sign a long term deal for over $20m per year and that deal was for his peak, not decline years. And it was widely acknowledged to be a huge mistake. No team is dumb enough to lock up a third of their payroll for seven years to a single aging player. He wont get an extension for more than his current 28m per year rate, and probably for slightly less. He is getting peace of mind for three or four more years.

In the end hes likely to not even opt out. NYY can afford to pay him the most plus they have an extra $30m to offer if he doesnt opt out (the Texas subsidy). This is just posturing by Boras to try to squeeze the yankees for as much of that subsidy as possible.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM

For 3 or 4 more years? No. He's not going to sign a 4 year deal.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You lost me at:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lost, thats for sure. Opting out is about locking down a big contract over his decline years, rather than risk going back on the market at age 34, when he might be hurt or playing worse.

And while generally athletes take the most money, A-Rod has already offered give up $30m if TX would have traded him to Boston. He hated being stuck on a loser and wont make that mistake.

A-rod is the only baseball player to sign a long term deal for over $20m per year and that deal was for his peak, not decline years. And it was widely acknowledged to be a huge mistake. No team is dumb enough to lock up a third of their payroll for seven years to a single aging player. He wont get an extension for more than his current 28m per year rate, and probably for slightly less. He is getting peace of mind for three or four more years.

In the end hes likely to not even opt out. NYY can afford to pay him the most plus they have an extra $30m to offer if he doesnt opt out (the Texas subsidy). This is just posturing by Boras to try to squeeze the yankees for as much of that subsidy as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. But could a team sign him so he's making some rediculous amount of money like $45 million a year for 3 years and then only $15 million for the last 4 years? Or just give him a $50 million signing bonus now so that in 4 years he is only making $15-20 million a year?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:57 PM

I think DesertCat meant 3-4 more years on top of the option years in NYY.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. But could a team sign him so he's making some rediculous amount of money like $45 million a year for 3 years and then only $15 million for the last 4 years? Or just give him a $50 million signing bonus now so that in 4 years he is only making $15-20 million a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they do that? Money in the future is worth less than money now.