View Poll Results: bluffblank
Exactly what I expected 2 11.11%
Pretty much what I expected 7 38.89%
Kinda what I expected 6 33.33%
Not really what I expected 3 16.67%
Definitely not what I expected 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: What\'s with the no kids guilt trip?

CDS,
worse, it was from bed bath & beyond. i had to get it because i only had a winter weight comforter (which is capri blue and beautiful) but i was smothered during the summer months, which is basically every month but january.
fortunately i do not feel bad because when i spill too much stuff on one side, i just flip it over and it is PINK on the other side.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,
worse, it was from bed bath & beyond. i had to get it because i only had a winter weight comforter (which is capri blue and beautiful) but i was smothered during the summer months, which is basically every month but january.
fortunately i do not feel bad because when i spill too much stuff on one side, i just flip it over and it is PINK on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol fluff....i was actually gone post
salvation army(aka Bed Bath n Beyond) but i was lazy and figured most people wouldnt get it
Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

[/ QUOTE ]

pacific coast feather company, ftw
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
renodoc,

You sound like every other parent I meet. .

[/ QUOTE ]

amplify,

you got leveled.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The real reason is that I'm selfish and don't want to be tied down to little people - I like the idea of being able to travel whenever I want and not really have any obligations. I think this can still be fulfilling if one spends one's time volunteering and doing charitable works - you can make the world a better place without producing someone else to do it for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. IMNSHO having kids is the most selfish and egotistical thing a person can do. We don't need anymore population in this world. People who have kids think they are so perfect they have to recreate themselves....

I am that egotistical, my wife and I did it twice.

Not having children is pretty selfless, not taking up mor of the worlds resources. Adopting a kid is the most selfless thing a person can do.

PP

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, i can remember that even as young as being in junior high i felt that i never wanted kids. Now that I'm in my mid twenties, my feelings on the issue have only increased greatly.

Most people who have kids seem fairly miserable to me. Hell, my parents always said how having us kids(2 siblings) was the best thing they ever did blah blah. But I wasn't stupid as a child, they seemed miserable, tired, and worn out a lot of time, and i can't blame them. Driving us to all of our sports practices every freaking day, and games on the weekends, homework, school, the list goes on and on. They had no lives essentially because of us, and this was during the prime of their lives. I'm thankful, obviously, yet i honestly don't think they were happy with their lives and with each other again until we grew up. Yes it's sad and they would never admit it, but i think it is the truth, they are just so much happier now that we are grown, and they have time to relax and spend with each other.

I sometimes feel selfish for not wanting kids. Yet i also think that i shouldn't feel this way. I mean, it's not like biblical times anymore... we're not rebuilding society after the flood here, there are over 6 billion people on this planet, i think we'll be fine and maybe even better off if only those that truly want to have kids do.

Also, those who think they want kids, i dare you to spend a few hours at a store that caters to children, i can remember that every time I've gone to toys "r" us in the past I've left thinking to myself, "god! i really hope i never have kids."

Edit- also fluffpop has redeemed herself in this thread in my eyes, since those cruel bj comments she made recently.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 AM

Dont feel bad most people that I know that have kids from age 14-25 are total idiots or are degenerates in one form or another. I wouldnt want to have a kid either but I want a peice of me to live on forever. Im a pretty selfish person at times.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:21 AM

Well, I'm married and neither my wife nor I want any kids.
We'd probably be decent parents (I'm sure I'd be), but we'll rather have the time and money to spend on each other than have our lives revolve around little ones.

One major reason is that both of us helped raising kid(s) when we were teenagers. In my case, 4 of my younger brothers and sisters were born when I was between 10 and 15, so I've experienced first hand (changing nappies included in the deal) how much work it takes to raise a kid, let alone 4 of them fairly close together.
One of my wife's elder sister got knocked up as teen and the kid was raised in her mom's home, so she also got first hand experience in how many sacrifices it takes to be a good parent.

We're not scared of ending up alone either, we're both more the "lone wolf" types anyway, so the argument of growing old all alone doesn't sound too scary to either of us.

Having said that, we both know fully well that our minds may change, but I doubt that for now. Unless the bioligical clock ticking hits my wife realllly hard, I can't imagine her wanting any kids in the future.

I haven't quite made up my own mind on whether it's selfish or not to not want any kids. I'll just assume it is for the time being, to have my peace when someone calls me selfish. I can then just say "yeah, you're right" and go on with my life.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM

Question to those who say they don't want children:

What if you did in fact get a girl (wife/gf/random chick) knocked up? Would you you find any pleasure at all in parenting or would you just end up resenting the kid forever? Do you think your opinion of children or having children would change after having one of your own? Or would it just confirm everything you've already believed? And more broad generalized questions like that yada yada yada.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question to those who say they don't want children:

What if you did in fact get a girl (wife/gf/random chick) knocked up? Would you you find any pleasure at all in parenting or would you just end up resenting the kid forever? Do you think your opinion of children or having children would change after having one of your own? Or would it just confirm everything you've already believed? And more broad generalized questions like that yada yada yada.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it somehow "happened", I'm certain I'd cope well enough. Heck, I'd probably turn out a pro-parent looking at other no-kids people as they look at me atm.
I don't believe it's a question on whether you then, after the kid's there, choose to make your life revolve around your kid - it's just going to happen anyway (unless you're the abortion, the give-away-for-adoption, or run-away type).
I'm just not going to put myself in that position on purpose.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
renodoc,

You sound like every other parent I meet. .

[/ QUOTE ]

amplify,

you got leveled.

[/ QUOTE ]
bonque!