Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Rock Band

The RB guitar at the Best Buy demo in my town had a broken strum bar (which felt flimsy to begin with) so I played it with the D-pad. I didn't like the chart for Say it Ain't So; but the drums were cool to play with.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 PM

It really seems like this genre game is damn close to being a game with actual results...

Someone mentioned earlier that if you can beat expert mode on the drums, you should actually be able to play the drums (i assume you'd just have a solid grasp of the fundamentals).

Well... I'm sure if I had a game like this for the piano when I was a kid, I wouldn't have been such a lazy ass about practicing, and wouldn't have sucked so bad. Quite frankly, its a very effective visual way of learning.

Has there been any talk of...say...a way to learn actual instruments with a game like this? It seems just a few steps off of what the game is currently... Would something like that be too educational to be a cool game?

Meh, just hopeful i guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really seems like this genre game is damn close to being a game with actual results...

Someone mentioned earlier that if you can beat expert mode on the drums, you should actually be able to play the drums (i assume you'd just have a solid grasp of the fundamentals).

Well... I'm sure if I had a game like this for the piano when I was a kid, I wouldn't have been such a lazy ass about practicing, and wouldn't have sucked so bad. Quite frankly, its a very effective visual way of learning.

Has there been any talk of...say...a way to learn actual instruments with a game like this? It seems just a few steps off of what the game is currently... Would something like that be too educational to be a cool game?

Meh, just hopeful i guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen TV ads for piano-like games for little kids that come with a plastic piano keyboard. No idea if they actually help the kids learn to play the piano properly, though.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:17 AM

So if i have Guitar Hero II for 360, should i be trading it in towards GHIII or this?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if i have Guitar Hero II for 360, should i be trading it in towards GHIII or this?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'm almost regretting buying GH3 in the first place. I may actually go and see what I can get for it at Gamestop or something just for kicks.

I really like what I've seen (and played) of Rock Band. GH3, while awesome, doesn't have NEARLY the depth this game seems to have.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'm almost regretting buying GH3 in the first place. I may actually go and see what I can get for it at Gamestop or something just for kicks.

I really like what I've seen (and played) of Rock Band. GH3, while awesome, doesn't have NEARLY the depth this game seems to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider the vocals to be a gimmick. And GH3 already has bass. So the questions to answer when buying Rock Band are simple:

* Do I want to spend $170 on a game when I can get a similar game for $100?

* Do I want to play drums?

If you want to play drums, it's a no-brainer. If you're mainly in it for the guitar, I've seen several preliminary reviews of the Rock Band that complain, not just about the stratocaster, but also the note charts.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 AM

Well...can you buy the game with just the drums? Or maybe the drums and mic? Or do you have to get the whole shabang?