Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 11:11 PM

Default Stars $55, JJ Flopped Overpair

SB's early double-up was not a donk play and I think it was the only pot he entered other than playing the blinds up to this point.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

MP1 (t1490)
MP2 (t1690)
CO (t1425)
Button (t3265)
SB (t3020)
BB (t1280)
Hero (t1330)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t85, BB calls t70.

Flop: (t300) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1320</font>, BB folds, Hero...?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Stars $55, JJ Flopped Overpair

Pot odds say you only have to have the best hand 40% of the time here. I don't play at this level, so I don't know if donks would re-raise with TPTK. I'd call, but that's why I'm at the 22's. Hey, you could always hit a runner runner for a flush or straight =)
Old 01-31-2006, 11:36 PM

Too many semi-bluff hands... too few legitimate hands...

I call because you're only worried about sets and 98...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So on a less coordinated board you might be able to let this hand go?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So on a less coordinated board you might be able to let this hand go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's a very complicated question...

Let's just say if the board was rainbow it would make me less inclined to call (that is not the same as saying I would fold... just less inclined).
Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 AM

I dunno - the player you describe is tight, but now has a significant stack advantage over the rest of the players in the hand. Thinking about the cards he might have called the flop with, I would definitely include medium pairs. Although he probably avoided them earlier in the tourney, now he may well be holding on to them to see the flop for such a small % of his stack.

His bet is twice the size of the pot here - a weird bet. It is a bit of an overbet, but puts you all-in. Is he trying to get you to fold? Maybe. If he wanted you to call he might have made a smaller bet - but if he wanted to put you all-in he could have pushed himself.

In the end its irrelevant, because this is a tight player who is facing a hero that raised preflop and followed up with a potsized bet on the flop. I would respect his raise and get out.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno - the player you describe is tight, but now has a significant stack advantage over the rest of the players in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still fairly early and hard to say if he's truly tight.

[ QUOTE ]
His bet is twice the size of the pot here - a weird bet. It is a bit of an overbet, but puts you all-in. Is he trying to get you to fold? Maybe. If he wanted you to call he might have made a smaller bet - but if he wanted to put you all-in he could have pushed himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

His bet really isn't strange if he has a made hand on this coordinated board. If he made something like a set on the flop it's reasonable for him to check it expecting the UTG raiser to make a continuation bet. Then he puts in a check-raise (effectively going all-in) to protect against draws since the board is so coordinated.

The only problem is that he could be semi-bluffing a big draw with the same line.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 AM

right - but I'm still out here...With his only hand being reasonable, his call suggesting a less than reraisable preflop hand, this all in reraise on the flop -- I think he has a made hand that beats me. Especially since this is a STT - in a multi, he might be risking a draw early to see if he can build his stack further.

The situation as you describe it scares me.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I came to the same conclusion and called. The villian showed KK, which really surprised me.

The good news is I made a runner-runner straight. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]