Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 PM

Default Stars $55, Pocket 10\'s in the BB

Villian is a little loose and fairly aggressive but not a donk. I’ve been tight and recently showed down A,K when my push was called.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter

SB (t2780)
Hero (t2300)
UTG (t3165)
MP (t1960)
CO (t705)
Button (t2590)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Stars $55, Pocket 10\'s in the BB

Against this kind of opponent, you figure to be quite well ahead of his initial opening range, particularly from the button. So let's forget folding. The stack sizes are such that any reraise other than pushing is pretty seriously awkward. I don't have any interest in raising to 1200 and having TT first to act with 3/4 pot behind. So this looks like a push or fold (EDIT: I meant call. I forgot to forget folding.) question.

My feeling from your description is that it is very possible for him to be holding any overcards to you, and that he's not necessarily likely to fold them if he hits. So calling means you can probably get an extra bet out of him when he whiffs with some of his weaker holdings, but that you get stacked more often when he decides that hitting his Q with Q9 is enough to beat you. I think the extra money you make from his bet isn't going to be enough in this case to make up for the times you get stacked by calling and trying to extract, so I probably push here.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:20 PM

This could easily be a steal, I push here w/o a super-tight read on villain. With that read I can't move the slider fast enough.

And even if villain was tight, I'll play super-tight sometimes, and start trying to take advantage of it around lvl 4.

Is this the non-turbo $55? You were the guy on the 6x$38s right?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this the non-turbo $55?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes

[ QUOTE ]
You were the guy on the 6x$38s right?

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not sure what you mean. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Were you the one who was playing a lot of $38s and posting hands, or do I have you mixed up with another similar username?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:27 PM

This isnt a turbo so calling and playing after the flop might be ok, but I think this is a good pushing situation.

I like gump's reasoning.

Also I like to push a lot [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think youre way ahead of most players ranges who fit the description you gave. Push it.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Were you the one who was playing a lot of $38s and posting hands, or do I have you mixed up with another similar username?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have me mixed up. I've been playing and posting almost all Stars standard structure STT's for a while.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against this kind of opponent, you figure to be quite well ahead of his initial opening range, particularly from the button. So let's forget folding. The stack sizes are such that any reraise other than pushing is pretty seriously awkward. I don't have any interest in raising to 1200 and having TT first to act with 3/4 pot behind. So this looks like a push or fold (EDIT: I meant call. I forgot to forget folding.) question.

My feeling from your description is that it is very possible for him to be holding any overcards to you, and that he's not necessarily likely to fold them if he hits. So calling means you can probably get an extra bet out of him when he whiffs with some of his weaker holdings, but that you get stacked more often when he decides that hitting his Q with Q9 is enough to beat you. I think the extra money you make from his bet isn't going to be enough in this case to make up for the times you get stacked by calling and trying to extract, so I probably push here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your very well thought out response.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:35 PM

Ahhh. I had you mixed up with jhub30. I was going to give you props for moving up.

Confusing that your usernames so similar and you're about the only two on this site posting hands about PS non-turbos. Also the buyin is pretty close.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think youre way ahead of most players ranges who fit the description you gave. Push it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did push it and it didn't feel like too tough of a decision at the time. Just doing a bit of a sanity check as I try to figure out if I'm on tilt or just a bad run.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

BTW - are you writing a vegas trip report?