Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 01:24 AM

Default CPU Keeps Restarting, Want to Break it

Ok...here's the scenario. My CPU (which I'm on right now) will just spontaneously restart for no reason. It happens randomly and with no warning...usually like once an hour. The CPU was built by a friend a couple years ago and is decently souped up. After I take off the option to have the CPU restart if there are problems, I get the BSOD. Seems like a hardware problem (video driver, etc) - I backed up all my [censored] and reinstalled windows with my friend's help. It worked for a bit and is more stable than before but is still restarting at random. So basically I can't gamble.

Is it time to junk this thing - I'm at the end of my rope and know nothing about this. Do I just start buying random crap? Motherboard, etc? My friend is on the case and knows his stuff but I need a reliable operating system. And I want to break something. Any insight?

Jeff
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: CPU Keeps Restarting, Want to Break it

A bad Power supply, overheating, or even bad ram can cause some strange problems on systems that in theory should be working fine.

I’d start by checking the MB and CPU’s temp. Make sure you have proper air circulation over the MB, ram, and hard drives.

Next step would be swapping out either ram or a new PS unit, which ever you might have on hand. If you don’t have either one, go to your favorite electronics store buy it, try it and if it doesn’t fix the problem, return it to the store and try the other. I both don’t work, just return it and get your money back or in the worst-case scenario, get store credit.

That’s all I’ve got on such limited info.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:47 PM

This happened to me. Turns out it was a $10 case fan that stopped working.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Jeffage,

when you untick the option so you can see the BSOD before manually restarting, what exactly does it say? e.g "STOP 0x87376363 in nv4dsp.dll" or whatever - useful information. Please let us know.

This will hopefully give us some clue as to the troublesome component / software.

dave.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:34 AM

I've gotten some different BSODs, including with no description beyond the general "if this is the first time you've seen this..." Here are some I've seen:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA

The first one is the more frequent one - there are probably others but these are ones I remember.

Edit: Next time it happens, I will write the code down as well.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 AM

Overheating was first thing my friend thought of - my friend opened the case and ran it to look at the fans (which I cleaned) - they seem to be running fine.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 04:03 PM

I had a problem also like this. I was pretty sure it was overheating. I looked at the tower fan and they were working. The only thing left was the cpu fan and the stuff that is between the CPU and the fan/heatsink (I believe). After I reapplied the substance on the processor and replaced the cpu fan everything was ok.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 PM

If you can afford a new machine get one. If you want to trouble shoot this one find a local computer shop and let them play with it. Blindly swapping out parts is just going to cost you money and drive you insane. If you are worried about the information on the machine get an external enclosure for the hard drives so you can use them on the new machine.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blindly swapping out parts is just going to cost you money and drive you insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

And exactly what is wrong w/ being insane??????? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

google for "memtest" for a bootable cd/floppy to test your ram. Make sure the heatsink/fan is okay on the PCI north bridge (smaller heatsink typically close to the AGP/PCI-e slot). Do you have heatsinks on your RAM sticks? Knoppix also has a cd-bootable OS (linux) w/ hardware diagnostic utils that won't interfere w/ your current windows installation.