Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 PM

Default When should I start reading TOP and HPFAP?

Since these books consist of advanced concepts should I wait until I move up to mid level stakes before reading them? I'm afraid after reading these two books I will start to give micro/small stakes players too much credit in their plays.

Also, I've read SSHE and a few other non 2+2 books, should I read Hold'em Poker? I've read that Hold'em Poker was a beginner level book and that it should be skipped over for SSHE since they both contain similar concepts. Can anybody who has read both books shed some light? I'm just curious if there is a significant amount of content in Hold'em Poker that isn't in SSHE already.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: When should I start reading TOP and HPFAP?

I've read SSHE and TOP. I would recommend reading TOP. I'm not sure you'll get a whole lot of new concepts that you can use that wasn't in SSHE, but it presents the same concepts in a different wording with different examples. I found that gave me a better understanding of the concepts.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 PM

I've read them all at least twice each. If you read SSHE, you can probably skip Hold'em Poker. I would definately read TOP right away, as it contains lots of important concepts important to all poker. I don't think HPFAP would hurt your play, as the information there is great, but I have found myself using SSHE a lot more as a refenence for micro and small stakes play. Read them all eventually.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 PM

TOP should be read immediately, if you are intelligent enough to understand the concepts. It's a pretty abstract book talking about game theory etc. It's still very useful in all forms of poker.

HEFAP is also quite useful, there's plenty of useful information in there.

Just go play on stars and win them from fpp points.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:22 PM

Meh. I disagree with everyone else here. If you are playing micro limits, then read SSHE 10 times. F'in memorize that book. Its good enough until 10/20 online, and 20/40 live in the games I play in.

Additionally read Roy Cook's Play of Hands II, How Good Is Your Middle Limit Hold'em, the overcards section of Middle Limit Hold'em (watch it though, some weak-tight play but his thought process is excellent), and King Yao. THEN pick up TOP. While you are reading top start to play some non-hold'em games so the concepts sit with you better. Lastly read HPFAP - because it truly is advanced. I see misplayed hands all the time due to HPFAP, because the reader doesn't understand the highly situational scenario presented within the book. Its excelent... but it really is advanced.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh. I disagree with everyone else here. If you are playing micro limits, then read SSHE 10 times.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd even stop there, at least for now.

When you're starting out, SSHE alone is more than enough. After you've started acing the hand quizzes and no longer are surprised by something you missed on previous reads, add another.