Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM

Default KQ in BB, fold top pair?

This is in a HORSE rotation. Villain is real splashy, 3-bets very light. However, I think he has a real hand when the raises from UTG.

How should I play postflop here. I am a little bit confused. Should I fold? I was thinking that both AK and KJ beat me.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) roggles is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, roggles calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">roggles bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, 2 folds, roggles calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 2 players)
roggles checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, roggles calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8.25BB, 2 players)
roggles checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">roggles raises</font>, UTG calls.

Results:
Final pot: 12.25BB
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: KQ in BB, fold top pair?

I like the way you played this hand the whole way. Depends on how good a read you have IMO but folding to the flop raise is tight play. I'm guessing he either had AK or AA and you took it down.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 AM

No I don't usually fold especially once it's heads up. By betting out on the flop (which I like) you may have forced him to raise hands like AJ and underpairs. I bet/call the river after this action, since he may be planning to take a free showdown.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Initially I thought nice hand, a good basic wa/wb line when OOP. I don't think was bad however I might do something differently.

You are way behind KK, JJ, AK, KJ. You are way ahead of QQ, TT and got 5 outs vs AA. But then AJ has 5 outs, AQ and AT have 7 outs.

If he's splashing/raising light I think there's a good chance of him having these hands. So I might protect/value bet/give no free card by donking the turn (as it brings a FD too) and calling down if raised.

C/r turn would be bad because I don't think our hand is strong enough to stand heat from a 3-bet (there is a decent chance we are behind too) and it'd give the villain a chance to take a free card.

The flop donk was good to protect your hand. Two broadways on the board and two preflop cold-callers means a good chance they have a gutshot or middle pair, etc. hands you wouldn't mind see folding here. The most likely bettor was to your immediate left, is aggro and thus likely to raise you too.

Bet/calling the river seems a good idea too. The river completes a BDFD and a SD and could be scary enough for the villain to not value bet AK or even KJ. Again, risking getting 3-bet would seem a bit too much although it isn't very likely given the scary-ish board even for sets.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:23 PM

looks fine although i dont think you need to lead the flop to hopefully knock out the field. As played it looks fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 PM

I'm grunching. You can never fold here against a villain you ever seen as getting out of line. Hell, you can't fold here unless your villain is the tightest SOB you've seen in two weeks.

I c/r the flop and lead from there. I'd be tempted to cap if he three bet me but probably wouldn't. As played I love the river c/r. You're never getting three bet there.