Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-21-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: General life questions / observations / random whatever thread

Looking for ideas/advice:

Today, a girl I'm romantically interested in suggested that we start a project/endeavour together. This really got my attention, not only because this girl is the [censored] and I really like her, but because this is something that I'd love to do on my own anyway. Help me brainstorm, EDF?

The two (very) general possibilities we started off with were making ourselves more awesome people in general or helping others in the world out in some fashion.

The ideal idea/project/endeavour/whathaveyou will be
- Intellectually stimulating to two highly intelligent persons
- Doable on a typical university student's schedule/budget
- Cool enough to help me get the girl

thanks yo!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking for ideas/advice:

Today, a girl I'm romantically interested in suggested that we start a project/endeavour together. This really got my attention, not only because this girl is the [censored] and I really like her, but because this is something that I'd love to do on my own anyway. Help me brainstorm, EDF?

The two (very) general possibilities we started off with were making ourselves more awesome people in general or helping others in the world out in some fashion.

The ideal idea/project/endeavour/whathaveyou will be
- Intellectually stimulating to two highly intelligent persons
- Doable on a typical university student's schedule/budget
- Cool enough to help me get the girl

thanks yo!

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope you come up with something fun

maybe i'm just feeling bitter at the world atm, but in all honesty this just sounds like a bunch of mental masturbation imo

you need more focus

ask her if she'll have babies with you and raise them to be responsible citizens so you can help the world?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ahhhhhhhh

some of my friends have facebook, but i don't want to sign up using my real name cause i'm paranoid

i signed up with my real first name and a last name w/ the same first initial my real name, but the rest is made up

obv this is dumb, since all my friends have their real names on there

i guess i have a website and it has my real name

maybe i'll go change it if i can or sign up again (ok i have my real name there, but i'm not putting any of that bs "relationship status, mood, wtf [censored] business is it of yours cause if you don't know it i don't want you to know it" crap on there

i hate all this [censored], i've got a cell phone, aim, and now facebook.... hate this crap

[WTF IS POKING]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel ya, bro. I signed up a little while ago after holding out on all these myspace/facebook social retardation crap. The only reason I signed up was to track down old friends and be tracked down by them, and in that regard it has been an amazing success. But as far as 'poking' goes, I just ignore that stuff. I also ignore being asked to become a vampire, werewolf, join the Sith in their fight against the jedi, sending somebody a drink, buying or receiving stupid gifts, taking stupid polls and quizzes, joining inane groups, adding whatever is the latest add-on to add to your account, throwing a million photo's of yourself on your account for people all over the world to be constantly updated on your so very amazing life, etc etc.

I check it every now and then, usually when I'm feeling angry at the world.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 AM

Facebook clearly brings people out. I'm a passive member in that I won't ask anyone to add me as a friend. Within the first week I had 11 friends. One was the person who asked me to join another was my GF. Of the remaining 9 - 8 were ex-Gfs and 1 was a guy from HS who I had not heard from in 15 years. It is kind of creepy. Do these people scan Facebook weekly looking for new people they once knew?

I also don't get people who have 250-400+ friends. I think people just want to add anyone they have ever met. I got a friend request from a girl who had dated my best friend in grade 9. I met her a half dozen times 18 years ago. Why would I care what happened to her or what she is up to now?

I do find the drama interesting. I have two couples as friends who are constantly fighting. It is great to watch their status lines and relationship status change. I don't understand people who air out their dirty laundry like that but I do find it entertaining.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 AM

you guys take this facebook stuff way too seriously
Old 11-22-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just a random observation:

A couple weeks ago I saw a woman on a plane drinking bottled water through a straw. I had never seen such a thing before.

WoT

[/ QUOTE ]
In the Asian countries Ive been to, every drink (besides alcohol) is served with a straw. I guess they view it as vulgar to drink directly out of a bottle or a can.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a lot of Asian countries this is done because the ice in which the bottles / cans are stored is 'bad ice' - i.e. made using water that is unsuitable for drinking.

It's standard to wipe dry the top of the can before opening it and inserting the straw.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys take this facebook stuff way too seriously

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's just a means to message people whom you don't want to call or don't know their number. Also it keeps some people occupied when they are bored.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Facebook is great for keeping in touch with people you otherwise cba to keep in touch with but wish you did, but couldn't be bothered to. That's what its main use for me is.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 AM

Facebook takes responsbility of managing your contacts from college. It's also brilliant to keep in touch with those friends from high school you've lost touch with. For those who don't have facebook, my question is what planet are you on?
I realise it's a fad but I think having facebook in the near future will be akin to having a cell phone for necessity.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:23 AM

So, since a lot of my family is now dead (yeah, not a lot, just the remnants of the older generation), we didn't have a family Thanksgiving. Instead, we went to a close family friends' house and enjoyed a feast with their family.

They were very nice, very lovely people. Everyone seemed to have so much love for one another and the family seemed perfect. Big too, there were 20-25 of them. It dawned on me, families pretty much always seem perfect at times like Thanksgiving. I thought these people were all saints and got along with everyone without question.

It's always like that. Until an aunt has one too many glasses of wine and starts talking to you about her son that may be gay or her nephew's DUI, etc, etc. Then I realize, every family is as [censored] up as mine.