Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-21-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Tourney Advice

So I've played in a few live charity tournaments before, and only done decent one time. I didn't make the money, but overall I was happy with that one performance. I'm playing in one tomorrow, and I was wondering what you all think would be the best strategy for the structure of the tournament.

T3000 Starting Chips. $30 Buy-In. 200 Entrants. 70% payout. $1300 Top Prize. Not sure what the blinds start out at, but either 25/25-->25/50 or 25/50>50/100.

What is the best game plan for this structure?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Tourney Advice

[ QUOTE ]
What is the best game plan for this structure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Charity tourney? 70% payout?

Donate to LOL DOCUMENTS and not Unicef IMO

If you finish out of the money let me know, I'll tell KGC to revoke your poker liscence.

GL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 AM

i know its a document...but still. shove early and often with 2 pair+ and no flush/straights on the board?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 AM

Assuming you know how to play solid live poker and have basic knowledge of the game. Sit tight, wait for good hands in the early stages. Once the blinds rise start getting more aggressive and be willing to take chances.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 AM

I don't know about often, it all depends on the situation, but I'd say definitely play a bit more aggro in the early stages. Double-stacked tourneys offer some cushion for agression.

Mind you, charity tourneys are often filled with insanely horrible play that would give Sklansky a heart attack in his seat. So don't overdo it with the bluffs or mid-pair calldowns just cause you have more chips. Tight is right, but don't play it passive when you have hands.

Otherwise, srsly, just have fun. I'm sure others will chime in before daybreak with some other advice.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 AM

Basement makes a good point about tight is right. If you play tight passive its a totally different thing then playing tight aggressive. In general if you flop top 2 pair for example you should be betting way more than half the time, always be aggressive and don't slow play vulnerable hands like this.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 AM

thanks for the replies. how do table dynamics come into play? if i have a passive table, what's the best way to go about picking up blinds/antes? im usually a cash game player. at how many bb should i start to worry about my stack? ive heard about the conventional wisdom of pushing with 10-30 bb, but at what point does 40bb and 50bb become a point where pushing isn't a bad choice?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:21 AM

How can a charity tourney have a payout structure? Do they take money from the poor too?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Pick up Sklansky's book Tournament Poker for Advanced Players. He has a Tournament System for beginers 'the System' is an all-in or fold approach to No Limit Texas Hold 'Em tournaments that is intended for completely inexperienced players. The system is designed to be played in deep stack tournaments, after the first few levels when the blinds are very small (during which time, the player should only be pushing with AA).

In brief, the system says that if there is a raise in front of you, you should push AA, KK, AKs, and anything else gets mucked. You will also be open-pushing with 22+, suited connectors 45+, Axs, and AK.

The idea of the system is that by limiting one's self to pre-flop play, one can level the playing field. It doesn't matter that a player is not good at reads, calculating pot odds, extracting value, bluffing or even reading the board, because by implementing the system he's avoiding any situation where his gross skill disadvantage can be abused by other players.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the replies. how do table dynamics come into play? if i have a passive table, what's the best way to go about picking up blinds/antes? im usually a cash game player. at how many bb should i start to worry about my stack? ive heard about the conventional wisdom of pushing with 10-30 bb, but at what point does 40bb and 50bb become a point where pushing isn't a bad choice?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your at a passive table raising with ALMOST atc in the CO or BTN when it folds around to you is never a bad idea. I'f you follow HoH then you should have a pretty good idea about M ratio and how you need to play based on it.