Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL

Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 AM

Default What\'s best? learning first: FR, 6max, S&G or MTT?

I am a 6max $3-$6 limit player.

What's the best way to learn NL? and to avoid bad habits, is there a game to avoid?

How would you proceed?

1. Full ring cash games
2. 6max cash games
3. Multi-tables tournaments
4. Sit & Go's

Thank you
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 AM

Default Re: What\'s best? learning first: FR, 6max, S&G or MTT?

[ QUOTE ]
I am a 6max $3-$6 limit player.

What's the best way to learn NL? and to avoid bad habits, is there a game to avoid?

How would you proceed?

1. Full ring cash games
2. 6max cash games
3. Multi-tables tournaments
4. Sit & Go's

Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

FR 1st, MTTs and a second option - MTTs you clearly know your downside at the start is why it's here, but it's really only the first 3 blinds that it's anything like a real cash game...after that the blinds get too high to be considered anything other than 'MTT training'.

Sit N Goes are, to make money, just TIGHT...TIGHT....TIGHT...GO NUTS! so all they teach you is how to play SNGs.

6Max is a little too hard to just dip into, and it can be swingier than FR (and if you reek, you'll lose money a lot faster at 6max). The mindset of 6maxers is typically a lot more aggressive than FRers too, and you'll find that quite tough.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:51 AM

I'd say go straight in with 6max cash, just start at a really small level where the money means nothing to you, or since you play $3-6 limit you've probably got a decent br so start at 25nl or something.
Nit it up in EP, loosen up in LP, super tight from the blinds and never bluff. I'm sure if you are good at limit you'll be no worse than breakeven at 25nl straight away.

Stick to 1 or 2 tables to start with too.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 AM

FR at first, as it allows you to play very tight and you don't have to worry too much about blinds (stealing/defending).

But you will also have to decide wether you want to start out short-stacking, mid-stacking or deep-stacking. Short to mid is a good option to start with, not too short though as you will not learn much about post-flop play.

Then you have to make a choice of what you prefer to move into (if you want to move into anything other than FR).

But you can start out in SNG or MTT if you want without FR, online MTTs/SNGs does not teach you much about deep stack play though.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But you will also have to decide wether you want to start out short-stacking, mid-stacking or deep-stacking. Short to mid is a good option to start with, not too short though as you will not learn much about post-flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already played short-stack at 25nl and 50nl (with 25BB). It gave me a good feel about how the opponents play, but it didn't help me to improve my game.

I think I will start with Full Ring play at 25nl, maybe with a full 100BB stack.

Thank you all
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say go straight in with 6max cash, just start at a really small level where the money means nothing to you, or since you play $3-6 limit you've probably got a decent br so start at 25nl or something.
Nit it up in EP, loosen up in LP, super tight from the blinds and never bluff. I'm sure if you are good at limit you'll be no worse than breakeven at 25nl straight away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second all of this advice.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second all of this advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

same.

I think starting at FR is bad advice for most people switching over from limit. NL is sooooooooooooooooooo boring and slow compared to limit, that even playing 6max NL from FR limit its a tough transition. I can't imagine how mind numbing FR would be. For me getting over the boringness of NL was the hardest part in becomng a NL player. Which is why I never switched for so long, I had even tried a couple times in the past and I just couldnt handle the drop in action.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM

Do you have any live games nearby? I am making a slow transition to NL (limit still being my primary game online) by playing live. The players tend to be awful, so you don't have to worry about losing much and if you're just decent at poker in general, you'll win a fair bit even while you still have some holes in your game. The primary benefits to me are:
(1) easier to focus on every hand and learn how my opponents play and think
(2) full ring game, meaning I can generally play tight and win, but the games can also get deep as well and this gives you some chance to learn how to play fairly deep when you're not up against people who can eat you alive deep.
(3) because there is some travel involved for me, I set aside a good chunk of time before I go play, so my sessions tend to be long and focused, giving me lots to study and review afterwards.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Yes, there is a live NL game not far away. BTW, no live Limit games anymore!
So it would be nice to play there. And that's right, it's easier to learn when playing at only one table.

But if Full ring is so boring, I will maybe quickly switch to 6max. Especially if Rakeback and bonus points are easier to earn at 6 max. I don't know.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:20 PM

In my humble opinion, full ring should not be boring when you are first learning to play. There is so much to observe and learn from. If you find it boring, you should ask yourself honestly whether you are focusing as much on what's going on as you should be.

I'm assuming that you're learning no limit as a craft, not merely playing to have fun. Hopefully, the game is fun, but you have to be willing to spend some time doing "non-fun" things if you want to improve.