Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Stars 6.50 Overpair gross river

[ QUOTE ]
Might I ask why the general feeling is that the flop bet was fine? I always bow to the expertese of the forum, but I bet top pairs (pocket aces) much harder on the flop and often push on the turn given that the board is safe. Does my play fall into the "I am a stupid fish" catagory?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much harder do you want to bet on the flop? I think his flop bet was good for value, and thats exactly what he should be betting for in this spot. Betting full pot would be fine too. I've probably made like 4 postflop overbets all year. i def wouldnt just shove the turn and have them fold most of the time instead of calling a moderate bet and maybe more on the river.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might I ask why the general feeling is that the flop bet was fine? I always bow to the expertese of the forum, but I bet top pairs (pocket aces) much harder on the flop and often push on the turn given that the board is safe. Does my play fall into the "I am a stupid fish" catagory?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do your bets get called?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Note that I am not being critical - my thoughts are experiential. Pocket aces used to be the bane of my existance. All of what I studied/read said for them to be played much as you have and the forum has stated. But I got tired of needing to fold my pocket aces.

Play aces weak, play aces strong, do this - do that. What seems to work experiencially for me for these trnys is to over-raise (2 pot?) flop and push when the turn is safe. It could be that everyone sees me as a dork and discounts my play - as they maybe should [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Are the bets called? More often in the mid-game then early on.. I have 1600 trnys on file but have only changed my play over the last couple of hundred - so I cannot tell you. Am I winning less from my opponents? I cannot tell you that either...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Dont get tricky with big hands in sngs, just value bet everytime and you'll profit. This is basically the worst card in the deck right here, and its only going to come a fraction of the time. Its not even worth worrying about when your making bets on the flop and turn
Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I find that small stakes SNGs are so loose that people will call your bet whether it's 1/3 the pot or 2x the pot with the same bs. I mean, most times I get AA in a 6.50 SNG, I 8-10xBB PF and then shove the flop getting called most of the time by any hand that hits or doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, so these players will call bets regardless of their size, and you want to bet LESS? How does this make sense again?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Been a while since I played 6's but generally I'd say crazy overbetting your good hands is always a value play. I even liked a pot-sized bet on the turn. Good fold on the river; tough though, with overpair and > 2:1 odds. nh
Old 07-19-2007, 02:58 PM

I bet more on every street.
t100 pre flop, bet pot flop, shove turn. In the 6s they call a lot.
As played, fold river.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Looks fine, nh. River looks gross, hard to call as the only hope is that they had something like JT/KJ/AJ.