Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Stars 6.50 Overpair gross river

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1610)
CO (t1290)
Button (t1460)
SB (t1200)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1940)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t80, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t190) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t160</font>, MP3 calls t160.

Turn: (t510) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t360</font>, MP3 calls t360.

River: (t1230) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t500</font>, Hero ???

Im readless, comments on turn and river?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Stars 6.50 Overpair gross river

Turn is fine IMO.

This river really sucks, but I think you have to fold. I just don't see you winning enough here to call.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 PM

Ugh. I would bet smaller on the flop and turn and fire a block bet on the river and fold to a shove. 125 on the flop 1/2 pot the turn (220). Bet like 300 on the river. In most cases in SNGs you're good here and they'll call with a J or some bs. A queen will shove, and you've only invested half your stack by the river, and you can fold to a raise.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. I would bet smaller on the flop and turn and fire a block bet on the river and fold to a shove. 125 on the flop 1/2 pot the turn (220). Bet like 300 on the river. In most cases in SNGs you're good here and they'll call with a J or some bs. A queen will shove, and you've only invested half your stack by the river, and you can fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why smaller bets on the flop and turn? We are betting for value there. I understand this makes it harder (pretty much impossible) to fire a blocker bet on the river, but we can't play to save our stack on a scary river.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why smaller bets on the flop and turn. We are betting for value there. I understand this makes it harder (pretty much impossible) to fire a blocker bet on the river, but we can't play to save our stack on a scary river.

[/ QUOTE ]

smaller bets on the flop and turn are just a bad idea here. you want to get moniez in the pot now, you have a storng hand, his range is well behind you, so bet it hard.

on the river, i kinda like a blocking bet , if raised fold.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM

I don't know. I find that small stakes SNGs are so loose that people will call your bet whether it's 1/3 the pot or 2x the pot with the same bs. I mean, most times I get AA in a 6.50 SNG, I 8-10xBB PF and then shove the flop getting called most of the time by any hand that hits or doesn't.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I find that small stakes SNGs are so loose that people will call your bet whether it's 1/3 the pot or 2x the pot with the same bs. I mean, most times I get AA in a 6.50 SNG, I 8-10xBB PF and then shove the flop getting called most of the time by any hand that hits or doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be contradicting yourself now. If they will call all sizes of bets (which I think is a very costly generalization) then why wouldn't he bet closer to the pot to get value?

You kinda make it seem like you just make random bets and hope to get paid off.

Edit: Sorry for getting OT. I like the idea of a blocker bet but you only have 900 at the river, so you really can't do that here IMO. In game I'd probably be pissed off and just call, but I really can't decide if you're beat here or not now.

Ugh, I just don't see any hands you beat betting here except for maybe a busted draw like KT.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM

preflop/flop/turn are solid. I like the large value bets on the flop and turn

I think you gotta fold that river tho, i cant see villain making that bet with anything but a Q 95% of the time. Youve already invested 600 chips so like mentioned your screwed out of making a blocking bet which i think this would otherwise be a great spot for.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Might I ask why the general feeling is that the flop bet was fine? I always bow to the expertese of the forum, but I bet top pairs (pocket aces) much harder on the flop and often push on the turn given that the board is safe. Does my play fall into the "I am a stupid fish" catagory?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to let you know I'm basically never making smaller bets on the flop and turn so that I have a better stack for a bet/fold line if a bad river comes, just doesn't make any sense to do that.

Ty for opinions, I did think about a blocking bet but my stack size sucks to do that and if he's at all competent my hand is VERY transparent.

I folded btw, I think he's got a Q most of the time, small amount of the time he boated and was way overslowplaying, .00001% of the time he made the perfect bluff with KT cause it looks so strong compared to a shove which I would probably call, and the rest of the time its some random $6.50 player bet with TT or JT something that somehow he is neither value betting or bluffing.

Silver, its almost pot sized, how much do you bet the flop? Turn is a big overshove your gonna lose a good amount of value.