Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Beat: WTF it takes to beat NL200?

don't get me wrong, i know what you are going to say but i need to hear it anyway, because these two weeks have been quite agonizing. i started playing cashgames in June, starting at NL50 (6 max). i went on a super heater, gave a shot at NL100 at 15 BI bankroll, continued with a heater and reached 3k$ pretty quickly, when i took my first shot at NL200.

i was at nice 3,6k$ when I went on vacation for 2 weeks, the last days of it being sheer joy of coming back and sitting at the tables. this is where downswing kicks in. i am not going to lie, my play was quite terrible, but I did run pretty bad. i moved down to NL100 when i dropped to 2k$, continued to play bad there, got to 1,1$k, gave my last shot w/ winning a couple of sunday million qualifiers (combined br 1,5$k) and started playing solid/running good again. i decided that this time i'm going to wait to get to 4$k (20 BI's for NL200, because I didn't like the variance/playing feeling underrolled). fast forward, i reach 4$k. i beat NL100 for 5PTBB/100 over 45k sample (downswing, playing bad stretch included).

after 4 grand, i started at NL200 again. i cleared 10k hands and am still down 6 BIs. every time i have a good day, i have a [good day + 1] downswing the next. as you can imagine, i started to see monsters under the bed, thinking that NL200 is way tougher than NL100. anyway, my screenname is IBLUFFULOL and if you've played with me and remember some of my leaks, drop a line here, it would be highly appreciated.

that's it, i think. i love this game and the idea of the financial independence it brings. i'm a 22 year old student/lazy douchebag who enjoys the easy way of life and am not giving up on poker or anything, just want some input from some other veteran grinders, who've had a rough patch and will share it here.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Beat: WTF it takes to beat NL200?

stay at 100 for a bit, build more br, then move up.

i used to do 20 buyin rule and move up.
last year i was playing 25/50+...trying to robusto my br.

now i just grind 5/10 and dominate and am satisfied with my winrate. know that sometmies moving up doesnt necessarily translate to more money if your edge is significantly smaller.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 AM

so basically why i'm saying is don't go by a set of rules of when u have to move up. chances are you're not ready yet...also know that variance at higher levels is much greater i like having a jillion buyins now...if br is no concern u play better
Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 AM

i intend to if i drop down again (i'm hovering around 20 BIs all the time), but i don't think NL200 is so much tougher that i'm a solid winner at NL100 and getting totally crushed here.

i know a number of NL200 grinders lurk here and would like their input on difference at NL100/NL200 toughness-wise. if I conclude i'm not ready, i will move down, but it will come as quite a blow to my ego.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:09 AM

get rid of ur [censored] ego, ur probably not very good so you need to stop telling yourself you are.

variance isn't the cause of all your bad swings.

/truth
Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 AM

one needs to be better than those played against.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am not going to lie, my play was quite terrible, but I did run pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems to me like your play is affected quite a bit by the beats. i would suggest working on keep your mental focus in check after taking a beat. it's a massively difficult thing to do, and frankly, if it's not something you can do at this point, then just set a simple stop loss rule... i.e. if you take a couple bad beats, and you're down say 3 buyins... stop and don't come back until you're done steaming. i think if you can control those times and keep those downswings at a minimum, you will see your roll build fairly quickly...especially if you actually beat nl100 for 5pt/100... goodluck.

this is a joke post right? 20 buyins is your sensible "ill stop messing around" bankroll lol? is it that hard to play 100NL for one more month until you have 50+ buyins?!

PLayed with u @100NL solid player dont know not used to bigger pots maybe stress bcz of roll?
stay @100NL
Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 AM

stay where you win, take shots when you feel ready, not when you have the roll to play