Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Good Luck Hunters!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Schwatt,

It's great that you actually ate them all, but where I'm from, that's WELL beyond your limit of birds. IMO, someone going over their limit is just as bad as someone who kills for the sake of killing. I don't know what the limits are for where you hunt though so I can't say anything about you.

In PA, it was 2 pheasants or 2 ducks a day was your limit. To go pheasant hunting, you had to go to a corn field that would be stocked by the gaming commission. Rarely are any pheasants wild in Western PA anymore. So it's just pretty much a slaugter on these birds. Not that I had a problem with that, but people would go out and kill a dozen or so, since it was so easy, leaving none for anyone else coming through at a later time. IMO, that's not what hunting is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The limit in MN is 6 ducks/day/person, but the season is 2 months long.

Our limit for pheasants is also 2 Rudy's/day/person. But in the Dakotas the limit is higher, hence the giant take.

To the anti's:

The hunters give more money to habitat and conservation projects than all other tree-hugging charities combined. When people don't hunt certain animals, their own existence can endanger themselves. Just ask Canadiens about their Snow Geese population.
There are more whitetail deer in the US now than there were 100 years ago. If hunters failed to hunt them for just 1 season, the results would be catastrophic in many parts of the country.

/rant

Do you know what animal kills more people than any other in the US every year? The Whitetail deer.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The hunters give more money to habitat and conservation projects than all other tree-hugging charities combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt that's true, not in Canada anyway. I know $10 (might be higher now) from duck licenses goes to Ducks Unlimited. I don't think anything from any other type of license is set aside for conservation.

[ QUOTE ]
When people don't hunt certain animals, their own existence can endanger themselves. Just ask Canadians about their Canadian Geese population.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geese are thriving and are becoming a nuisance to humans but that does not in any way, shape, or form mean there isn't enough resources available to sustain their growing population.

[ QUOTE ]
There are more whitetail deer in the US now than there were 100 years ago. If hunters failed to hunt them for just 1 season, the results would be catastrophic in many parts of the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catastrophic?!? Thats absurd. You're still not even allowed to kill does without a special permit in most of North America. Why do think that is pray tell?

I'm not against hunting deer but the argument that their population is out of control and we must kill them for their own good is just ridiculous.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When people don't hunt certain animals, their own existence can endanger themselves. Just ask Canadians about their Canadian Geese population.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geese are thriving and are becoming a nuisance to humans but that does not in any way, shape, or form mean there isn't enough resources available to sustain their growing population.

[/ QUOTE ]

You changed what I wrote. I said SNOW Geese, not Canadian geese. There is a difference. They are so overpopulated they are destroying the tundra that is their breeding ground. The Canadian DNR has special seasons where there is no bag limit on Snow geese. You can go out and shoot 100 of them, and they will be happy you did.

You're from Canada and didn't know this?
[ QUOTE ]

The hunters give more money to habitat and conservation projects than all other tree-hugging charities combined.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt that's true, not in Canada anyway. I know $10 (might be higher now) from duck licenses goes to Ducks Unlimited. I don't think anything from any other type of license is set aside for conservation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about Canada. In the US it is very much true. My local Deer Hunters Association and Ducks Unlimited Chapters donate over $25k/year, and I live in a small town. You can drive around the area and see signs all over that say, "This land was purchased by xxx chapter of the MDHA for wildlife habitat"

My DHA chapter also plants food plots, and polices trash in habitat areas. I have NEVER in my life heard about PETA, GreenPeace, or any other non-hunting organization buying land for habitat of wildlife. Or done anything in general besides whine about politics.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Catastrophic?!? Thats absurd. You're still not even allowed to kill does without a special permit in most of North America. Why do think that is pray tell?

I'm not against hunting deer but the argument that their population is out of control and we must kill them for their own good is just ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said the population is out of control. I said, if a single deer season was cancelled for the entire country it would be very bad. There isn't enough habitat/food in many places to sustain the millions of additional deer harvested every year. The more densely populated they are, the higher the chance of spreading CWD also.

In Wisconsin they harvest over 1/3(~550k) of the entire deer population every single year. Think about how many more deer that would be the next year if there was no hunting.

In 1930, there was approximately 300k whitetail deer in the US. Currently there are over 30 million.

The doe permit thing is run by the DNR of each state. I don't know any other state's rules other than MN. Here, about 1/2 of the state is lottery permits, the other half you can shoot between 3 and 5 does without special permission.

The lottery areas have a certain number of permits to give out. This is determined by the estimated number of does in each area. I would say about 75% of the people who apply, get one. Certainly in more populated areas the percentage is smaller because there are more people who apply. These lottery areas are pretty much agricultural areas of the state, where there isn't as much habitat. In Northern MN, there is no lottery.

You don't have to agree with me, but hunters and hunting itself helps wildlife, it doesn't hurt it.