Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: idea about resolving disputes

Oh I was mostly just joking. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not; sounds fun but impractical and time-consuming. Curious to see what others think though.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 PM

Ryan, I really don't think we need more civility.

I think people like to fight it out. i'm not opposed to civility. I'm not opposed to hostility.

It's freedom of expression. I like freedom. The mods who choose to participate in this forum set most of the policy. We base our decisions on their input. I'm very grateful that the there is such emotion behind the ideas generated here.

I like the fact that people feel free to disagree with us and call us stupid.

Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't see any real problems here. I think you just feel guilty because you killed yeti and now daryn wants to quit.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Well... I do.

But that's separate from how I'm viewing a lot of the [censored] that can take place in here. My worry is it that it can drive people into not wanting to be mods.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Ryan,

Being a mod requires a very thick skin. If a poster can't take the [censored] that gets thrown around in here, then they're perhaps not really cut out to be a mod in the first place.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM

With any volunteer I think it would be more about not caring to deal with it than not being able to.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 PM

i want nick b to weigh in here.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] mat

i think one of the biggest problems is that some people love to speak in broad platitudes ("nobody should ever get banned for this," "doing something like that is just plain stupid no matter what," etc) and just assume that whatever they like or think based on their own forum should apply to everyone. if people would simply look at what is good for the particular forum in question - in other words, 95% of the time, what that forum's users want - it would stop with a lot of the bickering.

basically any time i am making a post about what someone does in their own jurisdiction it is a SUGGESTION unless they did something in violation of the very few rules and precedents we have site-wide, and i try to phrase it as such.

if you create more specific site-wide rules, or create mod supervisors or meta-mods or floating mods or whatever, it will take some discretion away from the rest of us (something we would generally be against) but possibly resolve some of the ambiguity and turfishness that leads to infighting. i personally think that the strife arising from the former, and the subsequent power struggles / brown nosing / etc that would follow, would make things worse, not better, and more generally would detract from the unique and varied culture of the 2p2 sub-forums.

in general, i would rather have more rules from the admins than have another layer of people who have jurisdiction over me or what i do.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ryan,

this sounds super stupid. the reason there's a difference between mods and admins. i think that having a system where when it comes down to it, the admins make the decisions is fine. the mods should present their cases, and should hopefully have their input weighed by the admins, but having the admins make the real decision is pretty important, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

qfcitanul

You guys are admins and we are mods.

We run the day-to-day individual forum crap/deal with the micro-bs.

You are the managers: you manage us and make the big meta decisions based on our input, deal with the macro-bs and pay our salaries (2 free books/yr).

If you guys don't want to make the final decisions then you should put someone in charge in addition to you guys like citanul to make the decisions who will.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With any volunteer I think it would be more about not caring to deal with it than not being able to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you've noticed the number of mods that hardly ever participate in discussions here, mostly strat mods. The tone is undoubtedly the reason for many of them. The tone in this forum is worse then any other forum. There's no sense of community or working together to get things done. There's no sense of purpose or no initiative to solve cross forum issues. A voting system isn't going to fix this. The Reds need to moderate the tone. If you don't want a hostile environment, then don't let people call each other cunts and bitches and assholes or endlessly troll each other. In the end, things aren't getting solved because a lot of mods can't stand each other. A lot of that has to do with what is said here. You don't solve problems with people you hate. You don't hate people who are respectful and civilized no matter how dumb you think their ideas are. If you want to solve problems, create an environment where consensus can be built.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat, I personally believe that the reason that the us american mods don't have votes, is because they just don't have them. I believe the US Mods should take after the south african and the iraq mods and everywhere such as, and the education should be brought over here to help the us mods.