Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $57
SB: $71.70
BB: $17.60
Hero (UTG): $130.65
MP: $40.25
CO: $65.55

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, 2 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $7</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $5, MP calls $5

Flop: ($21.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $13</font>, MP folds, SB calls $13

Turn: ($47.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero ... </font>

Villain runs 17/5. I have no idea how to handle this turn, my thinking is check for info or 1/3 pot bet to see if I get a raise or a call.

Also, preflop, do you fire back at vill's 3-bet or simply call?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: AKs facing huge smooth-call on turn

Looks like Kings, Queens and he just didn't want to fold after check. Maybe slowplaying monster but I think less likely. Bet smallish, ~20, and hopefully he just calls you down to the river which I shove.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 PM

Damn, 17/5, huh? I don't think I'd be 4-betting postflop versus someone with those numbers who's 3-betting out of the blinds.

What sucks, of course, is that you'll lose to another AK if Villain is a c-bettor except on those relatively rare occasions when both of you spike a pair. But I think AA or KK is enough of Villain's (most likely) tight-as-hell 3-betting range vs. an UTG raise that I'd just go to a flop and see what falls.

Once that flop comes, I think you're basically committed, given that you've only got 3x the pot left in your stack. But I'll admit that I'm going to be worried if all the money actually goes in. And I think Villain's check bothers me more than a bet would have, too (well, at least once he calls). It does reassure me a little that he would have been betting into two players on an ace-high flop, though.

Anyway, crap, after he check-calls the flop, he's probably either got a monster (JJ or the case aces) or is scared of the ace. If he's scared of the ace, he may not be willing to invest anymore (or much more) money in the hand.

I probably either underbet the turn in an effort to keep KK/QQ in or just check behind in an attempt to play for less than stacks. This second option may not "work," but it is possible that Villain will bet smallish on the river with a set out of fear that you'll fold. Or maybe he'll make a blocker with KK or something.

I probably should add the disclaimer that a year ago when I was playing 5/10 limit regularly, the preflop 3-bet (or cap)/flop check with a set was by far the most popular donk slowplay going. (I mean, it reached the point where, since c-betting is so standard in limit if the pot isn't multiway, a flop check from the last preflop raiser was far scarier than a bet). But the play seems to be pretty popular in the micro-NL games too, so I wouldn't be feeling good during this hand until the pot actually came my way.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 PM

If you put him on kings or queens betting turn, even small, is really bad. He doesn't call two barrels on an A high board.
You're WA/WB here, I check behind turn and try to get my small value bet in on the river if he checks, or call pretty much any bet (except maybe a shove if he's really nitty as his line would then scream JJ or AA).
Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 PM

Oh, and FWIW, I fold AKo here preflop. I don't think I could fold AKs, but it might be the best play: His 3-betting range looks something like QQ+.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Check. Shove river if checked to.